Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished my AS year and everything feels like it's getting a bit much; finding a job, looking for volunteer work, passing my driving test (I've already failed once and I have a feeling I'm going to fail again), and recently I can't stop thinking about the fact that my friends, who I hold so dearly to me, are all going to be away from me at university. I have constant thoughts of losing all my friends and never getting a job and it's starting to have a huge effect on me; I don't want to leave the house, I'm very highly strung and I have a constant headache and sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I understand where you're coming from; I've recently been diagnosed with anxiety. If you want, I can PM you want to chat a bit more personally or if you don't mind me posting here x

ReputationRep:
    You are at a period of time which is stressful for everyone but you can get through it. Its a good time to develop some coping strategies such as combating negative thoughts. Have a look on getselfhelp.org at the cbt section. As well as that try some YouTube meditation videos. You may feel overwhelmed at the moment but what you are feeling now will change. You've still got summer with your friends so make the most of it

ReputationRep:
    Sounds pretty rough, but I don't think you necessarily have anxiety, I think you just have stress at what is a significant period of your life with a lot of changes.

While I don't wish to diminish over over-trivialise anxiety, the people I know who suffer from it tend to be struggling with much more mundane issues such as how to order coffee, rather than dealing with huge life-changing decisions.

You've got a lot going on, so I suggest you just try to take some space to think things through. Perhaps chat to some of your friends to reassure yourself.

On the job front, you're not going to be looking for 4-5 years, so I wouldn't fret so much!

ReputationRep:
    Dont feel like your the only one, im pretty sure everyone feels like this, your concentrating on too many things at once, slow down and work on each of the things one by one, youll make new friends in university, and in this modern age with whatsapp and social media the worlds a small place.

ReputationRep:
    message me if ur stomach pains get worse. I get similar pains

ReputationRep:
    I would say go talk to your school counsellor; they can make an appointment with your local GP if you don't want to make one yourself. They can give you a referral for cognitive behavioural therapy. If your doctor doesn't give you a referral, this is one of the techniques my therapist has used with me before:

http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/docs/Th...cordSheet7.pdf

I promise, that sheet works really well.

Talk to your parents, too; tell them you're struggling and you need their support. But this is also not to upset them; my mum was kind of hurt that I went to the doctor before I told her.

As Elivercury said, it is possible that you are just extremely stressed - from what you said in your post, you're overloading yourself, what with exams, passing your driver's test and looking for a job and voluntary work. However, everyone experiences anxiety differently. So talking to your counsellor should be a definite to-do x

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 20, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.