Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently (or was) doing the Foundation Engineering and Physicsl Sciences FOundation Programme at Nottingham, hoping to go onto mechanical engineering. Got my results today, and although I didn't fail a single module and did well in some of them, my course average is just below the 50% year average required to pass.

My questions are:
    1) Is it likely that I may be allowed to progress? ALthough I havent got automatic progression, I may still be chosen for progression regardless, depending on the decision of the department tutors.
    2) If I don't progress, is it possible to redo a foundation year?
    3) How ****ed am I, on a scale of 1-10?

ReputationRep:
    Can you not do some August resits?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternalflames)
    Can you not do some August resits?
    For the foundation year I think that resits can only guarantee getting the foundation certificate, not progression onto next year. Currently my grades are good enough to "pass" the year and get the certificate but not good enough to progress onto next year.

ReputationRep:
    I mean, I can't claim to know the difficulty of a foundation year having never done one, but I assume it is directly comparable to degree level difficulty.

Probably the most common entry into engineering these days is via a 4 year undergraduate Masters course, as an MEng is/has become mandatory for chartership with most professional bodies.

To stay on a MEng course you have to be achieving a 2:1, i.e. 60% in your first couple of years typically, otherwise they have you do the BEng.

I'm afraid I don't especially like your odds and would suggest you have a serious think over whether this is the right course for you. If you've honestly spent most of the year goofing off, can learn a lesson from this and take your future studies seriously then sure, try resitting/progressing forward. If you've been putting in a reasonable amount of effort and realistically are not going to be able to change much in the future - it simply isn't clicking - you may be better off looking at other options rather than wasting more money/years of available funding from SFE.

Ultimately your tutors are the best people to speak to as they'll know the exact process and your options to proceed forward on your course.

Hope it all works out for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WorriedMancunian)
    For the foundation year I think that resits can only guarantee getting the foundation certificate, not progression onto next year. Currently my grades are good enough to "pass" the year and get the certificate but not good enough to progress onto next year.
    Oh, talk about it with your tutor or the person in charge of progression.

ReputationRep:
    You are fukd m8

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.