Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm going into first year med school and just had some questions about FPAS and specifically about landing a job in inner London.

What deanery would be best suited to staying central throughout the two years? South or North West Thames? And why is it that NWT receives so many more applicants than South?

I had a look at the minimum scores needed for those two foundation schools and was wondering how hard it is to get a score of 85+ at the end of medical school, and what steps should I take to go in that direction?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lazy-)
    Hi, I'm going into first year med school and just had some questions about FPAS and specifically about landing a job in inner London.

What deanery would be best suited to staying central throughout the two years? South or North West Thames? And why is it that NWT receives so many more applicants than South?

I had a look at the minimum scores needed for those two foundation schools and was wondering how hard it is to get a score of 85+ at the end of medical school, and what steps should I take to go in that direction?

Cheers
    STFS is a massive foundation school. It does include many London hospitals including some famous ones like the GKT hospitals and St George's, but it covers the whole of the south east too...Surrey, Sussex, Kent, etc. Ordinarily you wouldn't be able to do both years in London. Most people will get one year in London and another year in one of the surrounding counties.

NWT is the only foundation school which will guarantee you two years within the M25, so that's a big reason as to why it's so competitive. Though having said that, many of the hospitals which come under NWTFS aren't in central London e.g. ones in Harrow or Ealing, or in London at all e.g. Watford.

In short, if you're looking to spend both years in a massive teaching hospital in central London, that's not really going to happen.

The biggest decider when it comes to FPAS (as it stands) is your SJT score as that's worth 50% of your application. The SJT is fairly straightforward imho, and if you have a high decile ranking it shouldn't be too hard to get 85+. You could also get published and do an intercalated degree, as these all count for points too.

However, if you're starting medical school this autumn I believe you would be in the first cohort who will sit the UKMLA? So the rules and policies relating to this stuff will almost certainly be very different in five years time.

Basically I would just enjoy your first year and not stress about this stuff - it all changes so frequently that trying to plan for it five years in advance is a bit pointless.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Cleared up some things for me, much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Great answer from Democracy. He/she is particularly right in saying that the selection rules are changed ("made up") for each individual cohort. Some things are consistent in earning points regardless of the process (e.g. publications, conference presentations, prizes) but they're often not worth that much. One reason they are useful is that they will earn you points at multiple stages, i.e. selection to foundation programme, core training, and higher training. This is important if you are someone who can't imagine ever working outside of London...

I also agree with Democracy that your focus in the first year should be making friends, trying new things, finding your feet, and making sure you have a winning strategy for passing exams. You have plenty of other years in which to build your career.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Realistically, you're not going to get two years in inner London. If you're not a high achiever you might not get London at all (although given that you're already asking this i suspect you will be).

The rules in 5 years will have changed anyway for sure.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 21, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.