Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do you need As and A*s at gcse to be able to do medicine?
    Everyone says you do but the unis I've looked at say that they don't look at gcses once the AAA has been achieved at A level. Is this true?

Would they still look at your gcses even if the requirements had been achieved?

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    (Original post by alice1stead)
    Nope, you don't. But...

Everyone says you do but the unis I've looked at say that they don't look at gcses once the AAA has been achieved at A level. Is this true?
    Which Medical Schools have you looked at?

There are GCSE requirements for each Medical School (you can find them here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...e-requirements) so they will definitely be looked at. Not all of them require all A's and A*'s, however, so you'll need to apply wisely when the time comes
    ]

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle is my no1 choice and they've said this on their requirements

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    Newcastle is my no1 choice and they've said this on their requirements

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can't see where they've said that on their requirements. They say they won't look at additional GCSEs, but not that they won't look at GCSEs at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    I can't see where they've said that on their requirements. They say they won't look at additional GCSEs, but not that they won't look at GCSEs at all.
    Ah okay, so my gcses will influence? Maybe medicine isn't for me because I don't think I've got enough As from looking at threads on my exams. I'll wait until results day but It probably won't be good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They do care about GCSE's. Most medical schools want usually 5A/A*'s depending on where you apply. Some consider your top 8 along with your UKCAT test, despite meeting the a level requirements.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi there,

Which universities have you applied to that say they don't consider GCSEs?

Many universities actually employ a system where they assign points for various exam grades, for GCSE, A level and UKCAT, and then consider your overall score to compare you to the other candidates.

However, there may be some universities that are less GCSE focused. The best thing to do to find out how candidates are ranked when they apply is to phone up the admissions offices and ask how they filter candidates for interview, and how they consider GCSEs.

We also have a Medical School Comparison Tool which you can use to see the entry requirements for all UK medical schools - updated for 2016/2017 entry.

Hope you find the above useful,
    The Medic Portal

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.