Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Health issue stopping me from studying this year, but have been offered places... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Applied to four courses this year when I was relatively healthy, been offered four places.

Have been diagnosed since being offered places with a condition that will not allow me to study this year, despite my will to.

What do I do here?

Should I defer or withdraw and reapply next year?

Some say withdraw and reapply next year or whenever I'm ready and well enough to dedicate.

Some say confirm by saying yes to unis, and defer the offers until next year -- suggesting I could be declined if I apply next year.I'm not familiar with higher education entry protocol, can I defer all four offers until next year?

Can I only defer one?

I don't feel comfortable picking one right now in my state. And I'd like to be able to think them through next year when things are clearer and more positive.

Thanks if you can give any insight.

ReputationRep:
    Check with the unis concerned. Some may not permit deferrals (it's less common at postgrad level) which could resolve or at least reduce the dilemma.

When given a choice, I would defer any offers. Saves the hassle of having to go through the application process again and you can always withdraw this time next year if you want or need to. None of the unis will know that you hold offers from others, as there's no central postgrad admissions systems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Check with the unis concerned. Some may not permit deferrals (it's less common at postgrad level) which could resolve or at least reduce the dilemma.

When given a choice, I would defer any offers. Saves the hassle of having to go through the application process again and you can always withdraw this time next year if you want or need to. None of the unis will know that you hold offers from others, as there's no central postgrad admissions systems.
    Okay, I shall defer all of the offers from the four unis. And consider my situation this time next year if I'm well enough to commit.

Thanks for the reply.

ReputationRep:
    It is my understanding you don't defer offers you defer entry.

i.e. you choose your university but start next year instead of this year.

I'm unsure what advantage withdrawing and reapplying would offer you given you'd have to do the whole process again? The only one I can see is if you are concerned that your medical conditions may require more than a year to sort out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.