Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I need to be thinking about what a levels I should take soon, I'm considering doing architecture at uni and art is highly recommended, or even needed, however I haven't done gcse art which I really regret because I love art and I don't know if I will be good enough or even allowed to take it? I was predicted a* at GCSE but scared everyone will have improved a lot over GCSE and that i would be behind at a level. Has anyone taken a level art without the GCSE and also is there anything I could do to improve to show I'm good enough? Also has anyone got any examples of a/A* GCSE art so I can see whether I'm at that standard? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you haven't taken Art at GCSE, and are doubting how good or passionate you are about it - don't do it! At least, not Fine Art. You can do Graphics though, because it often counts as an art subject (or a Design and Tech, depending on which type of the course you would choose, there are two; Graphic Design (DT) and Communication (Art)). You mainly use computers for Graphics, so it shouldn't be a problem if you can't really draw. I have a friend that's doing both, Fine Art and Graphic Art, and she thinks it's really easy compared to Fine Art, because the coursework is much easier, and less time-consuming, at least in the first year. So I'd say, you can go for it. Many unis also want the architecture applicants, to have done either Maths or Physics, so you should consider that. The rest of your subjects can be entirely up to you.

Hope I helped! :-) xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by watermelon309)
    Hi. I need to be thinking about what a levels I should take soon, I'm considering doing architecture at uni and art is highly recommended, or even needed, however I haven't done gcse art which I really regret because I love art and I don't know if I will be good enough or even allowed to take it? I was predicted a* at GCSE but scared everyone will have improved a lot over GCSE and that i would be behind at a level. Has anyone taken a level art without the GCSE and also is there anything I could do to improve to show I'm good enough? Also has anyone got any examples of a/A* GCSE art so I can see whether I'm at that standard? Thanks
    Hi Watermelon309,

I am an animation student when I was applying to uni I did fine art, maths, physics and psychology and they mistook me for applying for achitecture on the open day.
    There isnt a set group of subjects that have to do done in order to do architecture, it is more of the skills you can take from which subjects, from speaking to a couple of friends in architecture, they recommended having maths does help, so should consider that.

I would also recommend looking more into what universities, their breakdowns and requirements of the course, some are artistic whereas some are more on the engineering side. Also talking to the students at those unis you can get their feedback on the course and learn more about whether it is suited to you.

Hope this is helpful
    Jay

ReputationRep:
    A-level Art requires lots of work and very time consuming. I find this website useful: www.studentartguide.com - it tells you what to do and not to in sketchbook, personal study, etc. and give you many ideas to create your own idea toward final piece. I got A* in GCSE and B in A-level Fine Art.

Hope this helps

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.