The Student Room Group

edexcel History 3A 21st June

Does anyone know where I can find some model answers for this paper? Or even just tell me how to structure it since I don't know how many paragraphs to write etc. Thanks
You can have a look here: http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/History/2009/Exam-materials/5HA03_3A_pef_20150819.pdf It's the examiner's report from last year's exam with model answers.

I actually do unit 3c so I can't really help you with content but I'm guessing the exam structure is the same, so:
Question 1: Make two supported inferences (two points you can deduce form the source and back it up) - Can be two separate paragraphs.
Question 2: Analyse and explain the purpose of the source - I usually use one large paragraph but you can split it into two.
Question 3: Make two explained factors - Two paragraphs.
Question 4: Evaluate reliability of both sources - Two paragraphs and short conclusion if you can (to summarize the reliability).
Question 5: Evaluate the extent of your agreement or disagreement - Two paragraphs (one for support/opposition of sources) and conclusion.

Hope this all helps! Good luck for tomorrow!! :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by SugarBubbles2000
You can have a look here: http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/History/2009/Exam-materials/5HA03_3A_pef_20150819.pdf It's the examiner's report from last year's exam with model answers.

I actually do unit 3c so I can't really help you with content but I'm guessing the exam structure is the same, so:
Question 1: Make two supported inferences (two points you can deduce form the source and back it up) - Can be two separate paragraphs.
Question 2: Analyse and explain the purpose of the source - I usually use one large paragraph but you can split it into two.
Question 3: Make two explained factors - Two paragraphs.
Question 4: Evaluate reliability of both sources - Two paragraphs and short conclusion if you can (to summarize the reliability).
Question 5: Evaluate the extent of your agreement or disagreement - Two paragraphs (one for support/opposition of sources) and conclusion.

Hope this all helps! Good luck for tomorrow!! :h:

thanks so much, appreciate it greatly
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Giovanni_
thanks so much, appreciate it greatly

You're welcome :h: How are you feeling for this exam? I know I'm absolutely braindead so probably gonna have to wing the own knowledge stuff haha
Reply 4
You're welcome :h: How are you feeling for this exam? I know I'm absolutely braindead so probably gonna have to wing the own knowledge stuff haha

I'm alright with the knowledge, but im so bad at the structuring, since I had to self teach the whole of history B xd
Can anyone help? I've practiced doing question 2 as a 'purpose' question but when I look at past papers (past 2015) it's all impression, is there an explanation for this? What should I do? I don't know how to answer the question to get full marks if it is impression.
I'm alright with the knowledge, but im so bad at the structuring, since I had to self teach the whole of history B xd

I hate the structuring :angry: For some reason I did pretty well in the mocks (42/53) so it seems that I am ok with exam techniques apparently?? That sucks a lot... (I had to teach myself biology because I learnt nothing from my biology teacher :tongue:) You do History B as well? Damn
Reply 7
I hate the structuring :angry: For some reason I did pretty well in the mocks (42/53) so it seems that I am ok with exam techniques apparently?? That sucks a lot... (I had to teach myself biology because I learnt nothing from my biology teacher :tongue:) You do History B as well? Damn

42 is an A* right? ik how u feel, my school was teaching ocr whilst I'd already started edexcel so i had to teach myself it in around 4 months
Original post by heather122333
Can anyone help? I've practiced doing question 2 as a 'purpose' question but when I look at past papers (past 2015) it's all impression, is there an explanation for this? What should I do? I don't know how to answer the question to get full marks if it is impression.

From what I've seen, I don't think the question is asking for your impression. The question requires you to identify the purpose and back up with evidence, own knowledge and the message of the source. Maybe you're looking at older papers (they have changed the exam a little since 2014). Just stick to finding the purpose, don't listen to all that impression crap :tongue:
42 is an A* right? ik how u feel, my school was teaching ocr whilst I'd already started edexcel so i had to teach myself it in around 4 months

OMG are you serious?? I thought 42 was an A.. I feel so bad for you >< History is a complex subject as well!
Reply 10
OMG are you serious?? I thought 42 was an A.. I feel so bad for you >< History is a complex subject as well!

yeah lol, atleast my coursework should bring me up a bit because it was nearly full marks, but I digress xD
yeah lol, atleast my coursework should bring me up a bit because it was nearly full marks, but I digress xD

Wow ok then!! (apparently my school thought otherwise XD) I so hope so too! My teacher gave us all a raw grade and said mine was an A* though honestly, I have no idea why because I messed up on Part B so so bad.. I released so many tears after typing it up :frown: Perhaps the other parts redeemed it for me XD
Reply 12
Wow ok then!! (apparently my school thought otherwise XD) I so hope so too! My teacher gave us all a raw grade and said mine was an A* though honestly, I have no idea why because I messed up on Part B so so bad.. I released so many tears after typing it up :frown: Perhaps the other parts redeemed it for me XD

haha, well good luck on the exam. Just from this brief conversation i can tell you're going to crush this exam so best of luck ☺
haha, well good luck on the exam. Just from this brief conversation i can tell you're going to crush this exam so best of luck ☺

Aww thank you!! :h: I appreciate it a lot :smile: And goo luck to you too! You'll ace this!
Reply 14
Aww thank you!! :h: I appreciate it a lot :smile: And goo luck to you too! You'll ace this!

Thanks, hoping for the best lol
how do you answer the causation question where you use the source and own knowledge to explain why something happened
Original post by Butterflyshy
how do you answer the causation question where you use the source and own knowledge to explain why something happened

I think you mean the explanation question? You just say something like "Source C suggests that ... This can be seen where it states ...." and then you go on to explain the part of the source and tie it in with an explanation as the question asks. Also add in some additional knowledge to secure top marks and you're sorted :h:

Here's my example:
The Women's Liberation Movement protested against the Miss World Contest of the 1970's because the females in the contest were treated atrociously. This can be seen in the quote 'Bob Hope was going on and on about the terrible, gross stuff about the female contestants.' [I'd advise to use a shorter quote in the exam] This highlights the sexist opinions men had of women in the 1970's: Men didn't see any worthiness in women, and women winning the competition would have been offended by this atrocious behavior. This may have been why 100,000 women were active in the Women's Lib Movement at its peak in the early 1970's. Thus, with signal from the leader, the protest began.

Make two points form the source; if you can't find a second point from the source (like if the source was a cartoon with only one distinct feature), I believe you can explain one reason entirely on your own knowledge.

Hope it helps! :h:

Quick Reply