Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are working class people less attractive? Watch

ReputationRep:
    When compared to middleclass and upper class people?

ReputationRep:
    Good looks don't discriminate by class. You can get ugly upper class people and I have come across many, extremely good-looking working class individuals and chavs in my time.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's anything inherently unattractive about working class, but a lot of working class communities have a culture that I'm not attracted to (loud, confrontational) and some - not all - don't value education to the same degree middle class people tend to. I don't find those qualities attractive, but that's not exclusive to the working class, only more common in my experience. It's not BECAUSE they're working class, it's because of other qualities that happen to be more common in the working class.

I guess it depends on how you define working class. Is it those who have those attitudes I described, or is it those who happen to not have much money, working in more vocational careers? I'm not attracted to the former but I don't care about the latter.

ReputationRep:
    I was private schooled pretty much after kindergarten. When I attained puberty, social networking apps such as facebook allowed me to seek mates within my own class. I've always looked down on lower class people and I've never wanted to date a chav or a chavvy type. It's one of the reasons why Muslims and Blacks are considered less attractive in the UK than somewhere like the USA, where being Black seems to entitle you to your own social justice movement. :rolleyes:

I think it's more noticeable among males than among females. I know plenty of females who wouldn't go withing 100 kilometres of someone like David Beckham or Justin BIeber.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    When compared to middleclass and upper class people?
    For me it is the other way round

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Good looks don't discriminate by class. You can get ugly upper class people and I have come across many, extremely good-looking working class individuals and chavs in my time.
    Good looks discriminate by nationalities...

Like Spanish senoritas are muy muy hot senor :sexface::sexface::sexface:

ReputationRep:
    I've seen really pretty people who aren't upper class.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    thats b.s mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liberalfire)
    I was private schooled pretty much after kindergarten. When I attained puberty, social networking apps such as facebook allowed me to seek mates within my own class. I've always looked down on lower class people and I've never wanted to date a chav or a chavvy type. It's one of the reasons why Muslims and Blacks are considered less attractive in the UK than somewhere like the USA, where being Black seems to entitle you to your own social justice movement. :rolleyes:

I think it's more noticeable among males than among females. I know plenty of females who wouldn't go withing 100 kilometres of someone like David Beckham or Justin BIeber.

You do not sound very liberal at all, but I agree with you on the last part.
    Women care less about looks

ReputationRep:
    You do not sound very liberal at all, but I agree with you on the last part.
    Women care less about looks
    Ever heard of liberal economics? In Europe, we use the term "liberal" to denote right-wing economics, in the sense of "free" economic policing.

I'm a supporter of both liberal economics and liberal social policy.

But it's not just about looks. I'm gay and I don't like Justin Bieber or David Beckham. They're just ugly imo. I prefer the guys I find on Facebook!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liberalfire)
    Ever heard of liberal economics? In Europe, we use the term "liberal" to denote right-wing economics, in the sense of "free" economic policing.

I'm a supporter of both liberal economics and liberal social policy.

But it's not just about looks. I'm gay and I don't like Justin Bieber or David Beckham. They're just ugly imo. I prefer the guys I find on Facebook!

You do have a point, but David Beckham is a handsome chap

ReputationRep:
    You do have a point, but David Beckham is a handsome chap

Then just hear him ****ing speak!

ReputationRep:
    The fact that they come from a working class background wouldn't necessarily put me off, but other things that tend to be more commonly associated with that might (like accent, social culture, education (most likely lack of)). This obviously doesn't apply to every single working class person and there are some middle or even 'upper' class people that these may also apply to, but on average these negative aspects are more likely to be found within the working classes. Looks obviously don't discriminate between classes, but even then things like tattoos would very much put me off which you could argue are somewhat more likely to be found amongst the working class. But in general I weight things such as looks, education and accent fairly equally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JRKinder)
    The fact that they come from a working class background wouldn't necessarily put me off, but other things that tend to be more commonly associated with that might (like accent, social culture, education (most likely lack of)). This obviously doesn't apply to every single working class person and there are some middle or even 'upper' class people that these may also apply to, but on average these negative aspects are more likely to be found within the working classes. Looks obviously don't discriminate between classes, but even then things like tattoos would very much put me off which you could argue are somewhat more likely to be found amongst the working class. But in general I weight things such as looks, education and accent fairly equally.

I understand in what you mean, if we were to take the east end/essex crowd and asses the culture,accent and education and I view it as typical working class.
    I have nothing against people who fit the category, but the accent and the aesthetics can be quite off putting.
    I cannot just base it in physical looks alone.
    I view smoking,tattoos,fake plates and fake tan as trashy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.