Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If we leave the EU should there be a General Election? Watch

ReputationRep:
    David Cameron and the Tories won a mandate to deliver a referendum at the last election. If we leave it is likely he will step down. None of the proposals set out by the official Leave campaign have a mandate, only that we stay or leave. Given a large part of the leave agenda is about democracy, it surely follows that the electorate should be allowed to choose the representatives they wish to move the country forward?

ReputationRep:
    Very likely I think

ReputationRep:
    No, why would we?

The exact same people voted the government in a year ago and that hasn't changed. In all likelihood the exact same people would run again and be voted for again...I don't see how the referendum affects that? Unless some of the candidates are going to be deported?

If Cameron quits/gets booted, that's a matter for the Conservative party, he's not the president and we didn't vote for him.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure any of the main parties would want a General Election this year. The Conservatives are split on Europe, Labour have the worst leader since Michael Foot & the Lib Dems haven't exactly recovered from their beating if opinion polls are to believed.

ReputationRep:
    As much as I don't care for a Tory government (I'm pro Brexit), I suspect it'd be better to continue on until the next election year.

None of the opposition parties are remotely in a state to offer a challenge, and the Tories don't become politically defunct just because the PM's faction loses a referendum campaign.

He may tender his resignation, in which case I suspect a simple transfer of power to another Tory leader to carry out the remainder of the term, but I could be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Yes Definitely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    None of the proposals set out by the official Leave campaign have a mandate, only that we stay or leave
    By extension they do, and significant policy decisions can be decided in consultation/by parliament(ary select committees). No reason to call an election, but I do see the PM/Chancellor going, at the very least - the way they've handled this has been utterly farcical, bordering on irresponsible

it surely follows that the electorate should be allowed to choose the representatives they wish to move the country forward?
    Article 50 provides for a minimum of 2 years grace under withdrawal. That takes us to 2019, with an election in 2020 :yy:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.