Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My 5th choice uni is Oxford Brookes, which actually isn't even THAT bad, it just gets looked down upon because it obviously isn't Oxford. I had a meeting with my tutor today and I told her that my first choice was Birmingham and my middle choices were Leicester and Kent. However, I asked if say for example I got a C in History; would it be possible to be predicted a B for A level because it doesn't even count towards the real A level and she said it might be hard to persuade the teacher. But even for Oxford Brookes, I need BBC and for my AS I think I got 3 C's at best. It's just so annoying because I work so so hard and all I ever come out with is C's so people just think I'm so stupid. I just want to do well and be successful in life, but I'm worried going to a mediocre uni like Oxford Brookes would stop be from earning good money in later life, is this true?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by ambermariemorgan)
    My 5th choice uni is Oxford Brookes, which actually isn't even THAT bad, it just gets looked down upon because it obviously isn't Oxford. I had a meeting with my tutor today and I told her that my first choice was Birmingham and my middle choices were Leicester and Kent. However, I asked if say for example I got a C in History; would it be possible to be predicted a B for A level because it doesn't even count towards the real A level and she said it might be hard to persuade the teacher. But even for Oxford Brookes, I need BBC and for my AS I think I got 3 C's at best. It's just so annoying because I work so so hard and all I ever come out with is C's so people just think I'm so stupid. I just want to do well and be successful in life, but I'm worried going to a mediocre uni like Oxford Brookes would stop be from earning good money in later life, is this true?
    When it comes to applying to unis, I would suggest doing more than looking at entry requirements - visit them, go to open days, chat to students, see what it's like - because if you aren't going to enjoy wherever you're studying at, you're either not going to do well or give up and drop out.

How your school predicts will be up to them. I'm sure they could predict you 1 over your AS grades if you impressed them enough.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Nah, you don't need to go to an excellent Russell Group uni. Consider, most people who go to university do not go to Russell Group unis. Are they wasting their time? 'Course not.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh it does a bit. Some uni's won't leave you with a good graduate job, other's will.
    As well as that, there are some uni's that REALLY good for some courses even though the entry requirements are not high. Whilst some of the entry requirements for others are high and isn't suitable for the course. So it depends really.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly it depends what you want to do. Some careers you need a degree for, some you might be better off going straight into work or an apprenticiship scheme.
    Talk to your careers advisor, they might be able to help you with alternatives to University.

ReputationRep:
    No, definitely not bad if you don't go to a good uni.
    I know so many people who are at completely different academic levels and they're all doing fine for themselves.
    My Dad doesn't have any qualifications at all, but he is now a manager of a company, he doesn't have to go to work and sits at home all day relaxing while his employees earn him money.
    My older Sister failed her A Levels as she didn't want to put the effort in, she is currently a site surveyor (pretty much checks everything is safe) and earns a lot for it.
    I went to a mixed ability school and knew people who had Ds and Es in their GCSEs, they went into college to do courses in make up and hair dressing and many other things, loads of them have done great.
    I did ok and went to do my A levels, again I knew people in college who failed often, they couldn't reach the standard required of them. They left college after a year and went straight into employment in a local firm.
    Simply put, you don't even have to go to Uni to do well in life, it's definitely not the end of the world if you don't go. What I would say to you though is to do something you want to do, it's always a bad idea for someone who hates maths to do a finance degree so that they can become an accountant because they will waste those 3 or more years.
    So don't worry about it, you'll get what you get and if that gets you into the uni you want to go to then brilliant, if not then it's still ok so there's no need to worry about it.
    Good luck with your results anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.