Aiming to become a magistrate judge

Watch
joem12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am 15 years old, and studying for my GCSE's in June 2017. I am currently doing work experience for two weeks at a Solicitors company in Spalding. I am interested in having a future career as a magistrate and I was wondering what route I would need to take to get there. Also, what AS and A levels should I take? My GCSE subjects include; Business Studies, ICT, History, French, Maths (Higher), English Lit and Lang, and then of course three sciences (aiming for triple science).
SinsNotTragedies
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by joem12)
I am 15 years old, and studying for my GCSE's in June 2017. I am currently doing work experience for two weeks at a Solicitors company in Spalding. I am interested in having a future career as a magistrate and I was wondering what route I would need to take to get there. Also, what AS and A levels should I take? My GCSE subjects include; Business Studies, ICT, History, French, Maths (Higher), English Lit and Lang, and then of course three sciences (aiming for triple science).
Erm, well, I don't think you should aim to be a magistrate... They don't actually get paid.
https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/about-t...-a-magistrate/
niftyhitman
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm in Year 11, just finished my GCSE's and I do/did do GCSE AQA Law. Your A-Levels and your GCSE's are completely irrelevent when wanting to become a lawyer. All you need to do is on your half work hard to get into a good Uni for law to get a Law Degree. If you don't get a law degree there are several training routes to join law, but I must say if you do want to become a Barrister you HAVE to get a Law Degree. As you wan't to become a Magistrate Judge you're lucky. You need no qualifications. It's a matter of you signing up in your local court then going through a series of tests and two interviews as well as other things. In GCSE Law you learn most training routes for a job as a lawyer. I suggest you should currently get as many 9's(This new GCSE is confusing for me I don't really know how they go) as possible and do your best in A- Level so you C=C can get into a good Uni for Law. Such as Cambridge(aim high).
SinsNotTragedies
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by niftyhitman)
I must say if you do want to become a Barrister you HAVE to get a Law Degree
No, you don't. If you have completed a degree which isn't law you do the GDL - which is a conversion course.
niftyhitman
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
No, you don't. If you have completed a degree which isn't law you do the GDL - which is a conversion course.
ahh my bad
joem12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by niftyhitman)
I'm in Year 11, just finished my GCSE's and I do/did do GCSE AQA Law. Your A-Levels and your GCSE's are completely irrelevent when wanting to become a lawyer. All you need to do is on your half work hard to get into a good Uni for law to get a Law Degree. If you don't get a law degree there are several training routes to join law, but I must say if you do want to become a Barrister you HAVE to get a Law Degree. As you wan't to become a Magistrate Judge you're lucky. You need no qualifications. It's a matter of you signing up in your local court then going through a series of tests and two interviews as well as other things. In GCSE Law you learn most training routes for a job as a lawyer. I suggest you should currently get as many 9's(This new GCSE is confusing for me I don't really know how they go) as possible and do your best in A- Level so you C=C can get into a good Uni for Law. Such as Cambridge(aim high).
Thanks for reply, feel like an idiot thinking magistrates get paid haha, but yes, thanks for the info.
niftyhitman
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks for reply, feel like an idiot thinking magistrates get paid haha, but yes, thanks for the info.
As you appear genuinely interested in Law, I suggest you have a look at Barristers. Most Barristers usually find tend to be judges that....wait for it....GET PAID!
SinsNotTragedies
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You're not an idiot, I presume you haven't studied law and it does look like quite an interesting job - but there are other salaried roles in the legal sector which you should look up, just as interesting as becoming a magistrate! Ask if you want any advice or guidance, I'd be happy to talk to you about it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.29%
I don't have everything I need (309)
43.71%

Watched Threads