Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do people treat me differently because of my headscarf? Watch

Most common reaction is ignoring me/not interacting with me as much as other people. It's happened in alot of work (mainly white) environments where everyone will be really talkative to everyone and really quiet around me. I have to try really hard to get to know people but people automatically cut me off. It's not even because i'm new like other new people will start work and everyone will include them in their social circal straight away. It would help if i got opinions from people who do this, consciously or subconsciously. Is it lowkey racism or do you see other religious ethnic minorities as being too 'different' etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Most common reaction is ignoring me/not interacting with me as much as other people. It's happened in alot of work (mainly white) environments where everyone will be really talkative to everyone and really quiet around me. I have to try really hard to get to know people but people automatically cut me off. It's not even because i'm new like other new people will start work and everyone will include them in their social circal straight away. It would help if i got opinions from people who do this, consciously or subconsciously. Is it lowkey racism or do you see other religious ethnic minorities as being too 'different' etc.
    Bruv,
    firstly: The media.
    Secondly: they probably think youre revolting for being a muslim.
    Thirdly: you don't need to be good friends with the people in your workplace, as long as y'all can be productive.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe if you yourself were not hypocritical making racist generalisations about people and look at yourself.

You said its mostly white and then mention does it happen to other ethnicities thus making it about race.

The reality is people don't know how you will react because whatever they do or DON'T say can easily be assumed to be racist so they can't win.

They may worry they say something that can be seen as racist so to stop that risk they don't bother.

Can you blame them when what they worry might happen did happen?

It could as well be they don't think you will fit in which is less racism and more just a generalisation of anyone, I am mildly autistic and before I was reccomended for diagnosis I remember starting at a workplace and during training I was the only one not invited to trainees night out, when I asked if I could come they suddenly claimed it was cancelled then next morning they were talking about how drunk they got the day before.

They never apologised in fact their logic was "we didn't think you would want to come" well it would of been nice to be asked!

Was that racism? Nope they were same race and from same hometown and none were religious.

People are quick to claim something like racism or sexism these days rather than just people either don't just like you (jusified or not) or think theres a risk involved such as being accused of something due to political correctness.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.