Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i am a fifth year student, currently doing 4 highers(Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English) and 1 National Five(maths). I have recently been looking at degree choices and Medicine has really interested me. However, as you probably already know, you need to do five highers in one sitting. I could drop maths and do another higher like RMPS and pick up maths again in sixth year, but will this weaken my chances of doing Medicine? Is maths an important aspect of medicine and Is National five maths enough for Medicine? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seharxx)
    i am a fifth year student, currently doing 4 highers(Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English) and 1 National Five(maths). I have recently been looking at degree choices and Medicine has really interested me. However, as you probably already know, you need to do five highers in one sitting. I could drop maths and do another higher like RMPS and pick up maths again in sixth year, but will this weaken my chances of doing Medicine? Is maths an important aspect of medicine and Is National five maths enough for Medicine? Thank you
    Don't worry! I am doing National 5 Maths too (in 6th year LOL), I am TERRIBLE at maths. You are not alone.

Take a look at this in terms of trying to get the required subjects/grades for Medicine. It's really helpful: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...ttish_Students

Glancing over this list, it seems like some universities DO require Maths, but some actually don't! I completely agree with your idea of dropping Maths and picking another higher subject. Maybe pick something relaxed such as RMPS, Geography, or something you're quite good at and pick up National 5 maths in 6th year. However, some universities do require your National 5's/Standard Grades to be at one sitting so be careful of that. I would recommend phoning up your chosen universities and asking loads of questions.

Don't worry though, I definitely think you will be fine.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sameehaiqbal)
    Don't worry! I am doing National 5 Maths too (in 6th year LOL), I am TERRIBLE at maths. You are not alone.

Take a look at this in terms of trying to get the required subjects/grades for Medicine. It's really helpful: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...ttish_Students

Glancing over this list, it seems like some universities DO require Maths, but some actually don't! I completely agree with your idea of dropping Maths and picking another higher subject. Maybe pick something relaxed such as RMPS, Geography, or something you're quite good at and pick up National 5 maths in 6th year. However, some universities do require your National 5's/Standard Grades to be at one sitting so be careful of that. I would recommend phoning up your chosen universities and asking loads of questions.

Don't worry though, I definitely think you will be fine.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for this detailed response! I'm only applying to Scottish Universities and the ones I've emailed so far only need Biology and Chemistry and one from Physics and maths(thank god lol ). Ahhhh, hopefully they don't need all nat fives in one sitting, but i will definitely email or phone them! Thank you againx

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for this detailed response! I'm only applying to Scottish Universities and the ones I've emailed so far only need Biology and Chemistry and one from Physics and maths(thank god lol ). Ahhhh, hopefully they don't need all nat fives in one sitting, but i will definitely email or phone them! Thank you againx
    Hi, I'm afraid this is quite a complicated issue. I would also strongly recommend you read each university's entry requirements and email them.

For medicine most Scottish unis want nat 5 maths. Here's a few examples:
    Quoting Edinburgh: "National 5s: B grades in Biology, Chemistry, English and Mathematics"
    Aberdeen:"English and Maths are required (Grade B minimum)"
    Dundee (2017 entry): We also require biology, mathematics and English at least to grade 2 Standard Grade or Intermediate 2/National 5 at grade B.

Basically you need nat 5 maths for most Scottish unis to gain offers, but I don't think they need it all in one sitting.

So this is where it gets complicated.
    Most unis also want 5 Highers in one sitting at AAABB/AAAAB/AAAAA for you to be considered.
    So lets assume you did 5 highers and got good grades and applied. There may be two possibilities, unis may reject you because you don't have nat 5 maths, or give you an offer with an conditional in nat 5 maths in s6 studies.
    (I'm not too sure about this so check with individual unis)

If you did 4 highers and nat 5 maths, 4 highers may be disadvantageous unless you have supporting documentation proving school policy/personal difficulties etc. (This also varies according to different universities so check their policies on 4 highers). Sitting 4 highers and 1 nat 5 wiill also make you less competitive than other applicants academically.

You said you emailed a university and they replied "Biology and Chemistry and one from Physics and maths", I think they were talking about higher maths instead of nat 5.

I think you should email each university to enquire about whether they will give offers in the absence of nat 5 maths in s5, should you take it in s6. You should also ask whether they will still consider you if you did 4 highers+nat 5 maths.

Doing 5 highers+ nat 5 maths all in s5 might be a solution, but only if your timetable fits. Another solution could doing 5 highers this year, do nat 5 next year, and apply after a gap year, after you received your s6 exam results.

Sorry for the essay, but this issue is very complicated.

Also sorry sameehaiqbal, that list is quite outdated and med school entry requirements changes all the time.

Ps.
    If you're thinking about applying to medicine remember to get some work experience and do some volunteering.

Source: Me (2016 Medicine applicant)

ReputationRep:
    There's 0 maths in medicine. It's literally just copying out textbooks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yammy)
    Hi, I'm afraid this is quite a complicated issue. I would also strongly recommend you read each university's entry requirements and email them.

For medicine most Scottish unis want nat 5 maths. Here's a few examples:
    Quoting Edinburgh: "National 5s: B grades in Biology, Chemistry, English and Mathematics"
    Aberdeen:"English and Maths are required (Grade B minimum)"
    Dundee (2017 entry): We also require biology, mathematics and English at least to grade 2 Standard Grade or Intermediate 2/National 5 at grade B.

Basically you need nat 5 maths for most Scottish unis to gain offers, but I don't think they need it all in one sitting.

So this is where it gets complicated.
    Most unis also want 5 Highers in one sitting at AAABB/AAAAB/AAAAA for you to be considered.
    So lets assume you did 5 highers and got good grades and applied. There may be two possibilities, unis may reject you because you don't have nat 5 maths, or give you an offer with an conditional in nat 5 maths in s6 studies.
    (I'm not too sure about this so check with individual unis)

If you did 4 highers and nat 5 maths, 4 highers may be disadvantageous unless you have supporting documentation proving school policy/personal difficulties etc. (This also varies according to different universities so check their policies on 4 highers). Sitting 4 highers and 1 nat 5 wiill also make you less competitive than other applicants academically.

You said you emailed a university and they replied "Biology and Chemistry and one from Physics and maths", I think they were talking about higher maths instead of nat 5.

I think you should email each university to enquire about whether they will give offers in the absence of nat 5 maths in s5, should you take it in s6. You should also ask whether they will still consider you if you did 4 highers+nat 5 maths.

Doing 5 highers+ nat 5 maths all in s5 might be a solution, but only if your timetable fits. Another solution could doing 5 highers this year, do nat 5 next year, and apply after a gap year, after you received your s6 exam results.

Sorry for the essay, but this issue is very complicated.

Also sorry sameehaiqbal, that list is quite outdated and med school entry requirements changes all the time.

Ps.
    If you're thinking about applying to medicine remember to get some work experience and do some volunteering.

Source: Me (2016 Medicine applicant)
    I know that they were talking about higher maths haha! I said "thank god" because i am taking higher physics. So would i still get in if I did nat five maths in sixth year? I asked my school if I could do 5 highers and 1 nat five but they said no. thanks, I really appreciate this long and detailed response

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pennyarcade)
    There's 0 maths in medicine. It's literally just copying out textbooks
    i thought Statistics was part of the course?

ReputationRep:
    i thought Statistics was part of the course?
    Statistics =/= maths.

Medics just look at the conclusions from all the statistics stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.