Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    So I've finished my first year living in university accommodation. My family home is an hour away by tube from my uni and in the first year I chose to live at campus to eliminate the commute and to have a better social life mainly.
    So now I again have to choose whether to stay at home or get a flat near uni for next year. Living independently was nice and all but it was f****** expensive. It would be even more this year (I'd have to cash out 7.5k at best).
    So if I stay at home I save £7.5k but I can pretty much say goodbye to independent life and going out past 11 and say hi to travelling 2h every day.
    On the one hand I really want to live alone near uni but on the other I feel it'd be spoiled and unreasonable. I'm not rich.
    During the first year I got a lot of help from a bursary and my parents cause it was freshers and all but now I don't want them to pay again. I'd have to work during summer which is fine but even then I'm not sure I can earn enough and even if I could I'm not sure whether it's prudent to spend it all on the flat if my house is 1h away.
    Any advice on deciding is appreciated.

    Wow, this one is tough. If I were you I would think of trying to live at a family house for a year and save some money for the next one. I know living independently is awesome, but maybe one year of not that independent life won't mess everything, plus you're not 30 years old I guess haha

    Good luck
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.


Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.