Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on applying to Cambridge this autumn.
    I just looked at the admissions test for PBS (psychology): here is the link http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...cification.pdf.

The link says, if I am correct, that you have to do a test on bio/chem/physics - I have taken none of these at A-Level! How am I expected to know advanced scientific knowledge? None of the sciences are mandatory to take to be eligible for the course.
    Can anyone shed light on this?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It tells you what you need to know so read up on it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisedrake)
    I'm planning on applying to Cambridge this autumn.
    I just looked at the admissions test for PBS (psychology): here is the link http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...cification.pdf.

The link says, if I am correct, that you have to do a test on bio/chem/physics - I have taken none of these at A-Level! How am I expected to know advanced scientific knowledge? None of the sciences are mandatory to take to be eligible for the course.
    Can anyone shed light on this?

Thanks
    Interesting. As you say, it does appear that the science sections are mandatory (and cover content beyond GCSE), yet a science A-level isn't required as part of the entry requirements. Maybe ask them about it here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    Interesting. As you say, it does appear that the science sections are mandatory (and cover content beyond GCSE), yet a science A-level isn't required as part of the entry requirements. Maybe ask them about it here.
    thanks, I asked a teacher at school and they suggested I email, so I just sent off an email to the 'admissions' contact address. I'll let you know how it goes!
    Many thanks,
    Louise Drake

ReputationRep:
    A science a-level may not be required, but scientific knowledge will be. Generally psychology courses require a lot of scientific knowledge, and more importantly a good understanding of empiricism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirsty-92)
    A science a-level may not be required, but scientific knowledge will be. Generally psychology courses require a lot of scientific knowledge, and more importantly a good understanding of empiricism.
    thanks, yeah i wondered if that was the case. honestly i am just dreading spending my summer relearning GCSE biology! ah well. thanks for your reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirsty-92)
    Looking at the syllabus though, it does seem to go beyond GCSE (e.g. the biology section can contain questions on the structure of DNA).

ReputationRep:
    thanks, yeah i wondered if that was the case. honestly i am just dreading spending my summer relearning GCSE biology! ah well. thanks for your reply
    Just think of it as the more you learn now the easier you will find topics at university. I would definetly suggest the biology option though, as i believe it would be the most useful topic. Good luck with the revision.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

Just to update you: I got an email back from the admissions office letting me know that a new spec will be released offering a comprehension option for people 'approaching the subject from an arts perspective', so it looks like my prayers have been answered! thanks for all your help

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

Just to update you: I got an email back from the admissions office letting me know that a new spec will be released offering a comprehension option for people 'approaching the subject from an arts perspective', so it looks like my prayers have been answered! thanks for all your help
    Ah thank you for this information I am saved too!!!

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_8147.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  406.6 KB
    Hey all! Last post as I have FINALLY found the new spec!

I went to a Cambridge open day on thursday and the new spec for the Psych admissions test was shown so I took a pic to share with you guys!
    The prof mentioned that they'd had a meeting about it so obviously others also enquired/complained..
    sorry for the bad quality, i was sat quite a way back :/

anyway, just to recap what's in the pic, you can now either do maths/bio OR comprehension.

ReputationRep:
    Just to add, Part 2 is the same as before

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.