Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know any good revision techniques for Languages, Sciences and Maths?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukamal1)
    Does anyone know any good revision techniques for Languages, Sciences and Maths?
    Thanks
    Maths: practice practice practice

Languages: varies depending when exams are, lots of practice is good, such as reading texts and watching videos. Closer to exams you should do past papers.

Science: it's up to you. Some people find flashcard useful, others like to make songs and posters. Watching videos can be particularly helpful if there are significant things you don't understand.

May I ask which level of education you are at? I assume GCSEs (year 10)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scphmapd)
    Maths: practice practice practice

Languages: varies depending when exams are, lots of practice is good, such as reading texts and watching videos. Closer to exams you should do past papers.

Science: it's up to you. Some people find flashcard useful, others like to make songs and posters. Watching videos can be particularly helpful if there are significant things you don't understand.

May I ask which level of education you are at? I assume GCSEs (year 10)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Year 9

ReputationRep:
    Flashcards, Videos, Songs, Mindmaps, Posters, Notes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukamal1)
    Thanks
    You're so lucky to be in year 9 because it means you have time still. If I could go back two years, this is what I would do.

Maths

Set aside a notepad which you can dedicate for your maths notes. As you study each chapter, copy your notes and a couple of examples into it. I did this and I was so thankful that I did as it has meant that throughout the last two years I've always been able to refer to my notes. (It's also a lot harder to lose than loose paper. )

Depending how much time you want to spend revising now and how hard you find maths, you might want to start going through some questions from your textbooks to cement your understanding a few weeks after you've covered a topic.

Revision guides or workbooks are also extremely useful as they allow you to get more practice on everything which is specific to your exam board.

I wouldn't worry about past papers now as you want to leave some for later on. I only started doing past papers in January Year 11.

Sciences

Again, I would recommend setting aside a book for notes and trying to keep up with your notes. I did this for all three sciences but I didn't keep up for Biology. What that meant was a big rush before mocks in January when I panicked about not having notes. Try to only include the things that you need- looking at the specification may help with that.

When it comes to revision techniques nearer the time, past papers and flashcards were my best friends. When I used flashcards I put a word on one side which summarised a section of each topic and forced myself to recall everything I could remember about that topic. I found this useful but it depends a lot on how you learn best.

Languages

Try looking at Languages Online, this is language and linguascope. These are the three sites that saved me. I think my school had logins for a couple but ask your school if they have anything similar.

I would recommend that you try to understand the grammar of the language such as tenses as this will reap rewards later on.

Memrise is also good for learning vocab. Start now and you should be able to cover all of the words that the exam board recommends you learn. Here's a good one for french edexcel gcse but you might be able to find another one specific to your language and exam board.
    http://www.memrise.com/course/89149/...cabulary-list/

Having said all that, don't worry too much. My sister's only in year 9 at the moment and I'm not going to suggest that she does any of this until September. Enjoy the summer and start in September. As long as you do a little every week, you'll be more than prepared by the time gcses come around.
    I wish you the best of luck in your gcses and if you want to discuss anything, feel free to PM me.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    By the way, which gcses are you taking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ara8311a)
    You're so lucky to be in year 9 because it means you have time still. If I could go back two years, this is what I would do.

Maths

Set aside a notepad which you can dedicate for your maths notes. As you study each chapter, copy your notes and a couple of examples into it. I did this and I was so thankful that I did as it has meant that throughout the last two years I've always been able to refer to my notes. (It's also a lot harder to lose than loose paper. )

Depending how much time you want to spend revising now and how hard you find maths, you might want to start going through some questions from your textbooks to cement your understanding a few weeks after you've covered a topic.

Revision guides or workbooks are also extremely useful as they allow you to get more practice on everything which is specific to your exam board.

I wouldn't worry about past papers now as you want to leave some for later on. I only started doing past papers in January Year 11.

Sciences

Again, I would recommend setting aside a book for notes and trying to keep up with your notes. I did this for all three sciences but I didn't keep up for Biology. What that meant was a big rush before mocks in January when I panicked about not having notes. Try to only include the things that you need- looking at the specification may help with that.

When it comes to revision techniques nearer the time, past papers and flashcards were my best friends. When I used flashcards I put a word on one side which summarised a section of each topic and forced myself to recall everything I could remember about that topic. I found this useful but it depends a lot on how you learn best.

Languages

Try looking at Languages Online, this is language and linguascope. These are the three sites that saved me. I think my school had logins for a couple but ask your school if they have anything similar.

I would recommend that you try to understand the grammar of the language such as tenses as this will reap rewards later on.

Memrise is also good for learning vocab. Start now and you should be able to cover all of the words that the exam board recommends you learn. Here's a good one for french edexcel gcse but you might be able to find another one specific to your language and exam board.
    http://www.memrise.com/course/89149/...cabulary-list/

Having said all that, don't worry too much. My sister's only in year 9 at the moment and I'm not going to suggest that she does any of this until September. Enjoy the summer and start in September. As long as you do a little every week, you'll be more than prepared by the time gcses come around.
    I wish you the best of luck in your gcses and if you want to discuss anything, feel free to PM me.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    By the way, which gcses are you taking?
    Thank you for the reply and I am taking the compulsory ones including Further Maths and then Art, Greek and Latin, Spanish.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.