Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm half way through my degree now and really struggling with the amount of reading I am given. I can read fine (thankfully) but actually understanding and taking in that information is a whole other story.

I would love to hear methods you use to aid your comprehension with reading material - what does and doesn't work for you?

Feeling a bit meh about this whole dyslexia thing right now and worse of all is that I chose a Humanities-based subject.

A huge thank you in advance.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by alzoll1)
    Hello,

I'm half way through my degree now and really struggling with the amount of reading I am given. I can read fine (thankfully) but actually understanding and taking in that information is a whole other story.

I would love to hear methods you use to aid your comprehension with reading material - what does and doesn't work for you?

Feeling a bit meh about this whole dyslexia thing right now and worse of all is that I chose a Humanities-based subject.

I absolutely love flash cards for learning information, short and snappy is what works for me to retain anything (quizlet is great) . It's one of few things that works for me, with dyspraxia on top writing out information in any way just doesn't work, I have to be active with it to learn anything if that makes sense.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Also what adjustments have you been given? I know some unis give specific reading lists to help

ReputationRep:
    Hi Claire,

Thank you for the reply! I will have a look at that

I have been given software, Read and Write Gold and the purpose of this was so I was able to have the book read aloud to me but I find this software so time-consuming because I have to scan pages. I have a really big reading list and scanning every single page is just not doable. I try to save time by reading it myself and then writing masses of notes in my book but can't say that works for me any better, unfortunately.

Other than Read and Write Gold I have been given an extra 25% in exams and I am allowed to request extension where and when required, but this doesn't really help my reading comprehension...

That's it really, I haven't been given much else but have read here some people have a study tutor? This might be something I ask for at my appointment in 3 weeks.

In a bit of a rut at the moment.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Hi Claire,

Thank you for the reply! I will have a look at that

I have been given software, Read and Write Gold and the purpose of this was so I was able to have the book read aloud to me but I find this software so time-consuming because I have to scan pages. I have a really big reading list and scanning every single page is just not doable. I try to save time by reading it myself and then writing masses of notes in my book but can't say that works for me any better, unfortunately.

Other than Read and Write Gold I have been given an extra 25% in exams and I am allowed to request extension where and when required, but this doesn't really help my reading comprehension...

That's it really, I haven't been given much else but have read here some people have a study tutor? This might be something I ask for at my appointment in 3 weeks.

In a bit of a rut at the moment.
    I had a study tutor for an hour a week, I found it incredibly helpful Rather than writing masses of notes and reading whole chapters, try and read introductions and conclusions of chapters to try then make some bullet points and save time and read the main body only if it's definetly going to be relevant to an exam or an essay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    I had a study tutor for an hour a week, I found it incredibly helpful Rather than writing masses of notes and reading whole chapters, try and read introductions and conclusions of chapters to try then make some bullet points and save time and read the main body only if it's definetly going to be relevant to an exam or an essay.
    Thank you for the replies Claire - I really appreciate it. What is the role of the study tutor? Do they proof read essays etc too?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Thank you for the replies Claire - I really appreciate it. What is the role of the study tutor? Do they proof read essays etc too?
    They proof read mind for me and helped me with revision and generally organising my studying.

ReputationRep:
    Ive just finished my first year and really struggled at the beginning to read and understand texts given. so i feel for you. Just like Claire, i have a study skills tutor that i see for two hours a week which helped understand what im reading. Also i found that the more i read, the better i could understand what was written. But there would be certain things i struggled with still, such as if i came across a new word or phrase that the author had used. But once i had seen that a few times, it got easier. I guess im part of the lucky crowd who study a subject that authors just reuse the same phases or same kind of phrases in their work, so this helps.

im jabbering im aware, but im saying, try reading more, as hard as it is, this should help you start understanding what it is youre reading. Keep a word bank of tricky words that you struggle to remember that you can pull out during your reading or at a time where you have a few mins and dont know what to do.

Study skills tutors are there to help us in whatever way we need academically, but they wont write our essays. theyll help planning and the writing of it with you and also proof reading our essay, altering where needed.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Dyslexia affects how quickly you read. This means you have less processing power leftover for comprehension. You could:

- check how complex some books are using lexile.com. For example, Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment is 990L. The Cambridge Companion to Dostoevskii is 1510L. If you know what lexile level you are then it can predict how much of the book you will comprehend. If you do not know your lexile level then you can get a rough measure by searching for books your understood and see what score they have.

- read shorter texts (e.g. Oxford's Very Short Introductions)

- ask your lecturers for advice on the easiest and most relevant texts to read. Most lecturers do not like complex books either.

- find out the properties of the texts you read and see if you can organise this information visually. For example, you could use a table to list different types of devices used or the form poetry takes. A lot of this does not take much comprehension. If you came across a poem which had six syllables in one line then eight in the next your table would tell you were reading a ballad type stanza.

Good luck!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.