Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    because realistically i'm certain not to get anywhere near the grades i need to get into liverpool uni (which is my firm choice) is there any way of rejecting this offer now and bumping my insurance offer (john moores) up to make it my firm choice.

its only so that i can apply for accomodation at john moores now so that i've got a better chance of getting the place i want. it'll save me some time after results day.

cheers

ReputationRep:
    id like to know 2 been thinkin of doin same

Can you actually do that? In the UCAS booklet it says you can't change your choice once you've made it unless you withdraw, and then you lose your insurance as well. Anyway, even if I'm wrong and you can do that, wouldn't you feel silly if you did that and then actually got the grades for your firm choice? Going to your insurance is not the end of the world. You will get accommodation. It might not be exactly what you wanted, but you will have a great time wherever you are. If the worst comes to the worst, you have to rent a place until a space becomes available in halls. People do that all the time. At the beginning of term, there will be a few people who do not turn up. After a week or so, the university will release their room to the first person on the waiting list. These things happen. Just sit it out and wait for results day. If you do miss the grades, just get on the phone to the accommodation office at John Moores ASAP and make sure you're on that waiting list. Many insurance people spend a few hours in despair because they didn't make their firm offer, and lots spend ages on the phone to their firm choice begging them to let them in anyway, so if you're prepared not to get the grades, you'll be prepared to get in touch immediately, and be ahead of the rest. Which should either put you straight into halls, or at the top of the waiting list.

ReputationRep:
    Along the same sort of lines guys, i've applied to both City and Kent to do Actuarial Science and have City as my first choice and Kent as insurance. I'm quite confident that I can get the grades that I need to get in to City but after reading the stuff on their forum and checking out their Union website it seems like a load of poo. There seems to be bugger all going on for the students and it sounds as though they're all little homeboy-gangster-wannabe-asian-rude-bwoys and townie girls and to be honest I really don't like the prospect of spending 3 years with them.
    I've had a good look at all of the Kent stuff and it seems like such a nice place and has a mix of people which is far more suited to myself, loads more sports stuff and a tonne of studenty stuff to do. So I was just wondering if it is possible to tell City to bog off and tell Kent that I want to go there instead?

Any info on either of the universities, courses or possibilities would be wicked.

Rick

ReputationRep:
    Rich - yeah, come to Kent! If you ask City, they'll probably "let you go" because it's better for them that they don't have people who'd rather be elsewhere. So if you do want to go to Kent, you should probably give it a go now before it's too late.

I think Kent's generally a better regarded uni than City, and like you say, it's a really nice place and you might be better suited there than at City. No idea what Actuarial Science is though

ReputationRep:
    Kent is better than City without a doubt...come to Kent...I'll be there and so will Katy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saintuntilidie)
    because realistically i'm certain not to get anywhere near the grades i need to get into liverpool uni (which is my firm choice) is there any way of rejecting this offer now and bumping my insurance offer (john moores) up to make it my firm choice.

its only so that i can apply for accomodation at john moores now so that i've got a better chance of getting the place i want. it'll save me some time after results day.

cheers
    i'm just imagining your disapointment on results day, if Liverpool release you to John Moores, and you get the Liverpool grades...

Ouch!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saintuntilidie)

cheers
    Hi saintuntilidie, i wanted to do the exact same as you a few months ago. I had accepted my offer from liverpool uni for business studies as my firm and jmu as my insurance. I emailed jmu, they emailed ucas and told me to contact ucas and also liverpool uni had to contact ucas. Within a few hours i looked on the ucas site and my choices had been changed. Just contact JMU and they'll tell you exactly what you need to do. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if Who_Me and PrincessKaty are going then it must me done! :rolleyes: lol. I just had a chat with my mum about it and she said that she thought right from the start that i'd be better at Kent, lol, cheers for telling me! I've got all of my phone numbers and details etc.. sorted now so i'm gonna make all the phone calls tomorrow and I should be hopefully joining you guys at Kent at the end of the summer!

PrincessKaty - Actuarial science is basically like statisticy stuff to do with business and finance and what not. Super geeky yes, but hoping to bring a bit of glamour and party to the whole actuarial scene! :cool:

Cheers for the help guys.

P.S. What are you guys gonna be doing at Kent? and where are you from?

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, sounds quite interesting. I'm doing Social Policy. And I'm from Brighton.

Ooh, it's just like Blind Date, innit?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Computer Science...possibly even geekier than your course....!

ReputationRep:
    You have to contact the uni to change your choice.

ReputationRep:
    I had the same problem but it is fairly easy to change.
    I just sent an email to the admissions tutors of both my firm and insurance institutions at Durham and Bristol stating my wishes and they contacted UCAS and it was all changed in only a couple of days. I got a new UCAS slip through the post confirming it. You DONT have to withdraw.

Good Luck,

Steve

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the help guys, I've got it all sorted now. I'm coming to Kent! I just rang up UCAS and told them the situation, called Kent, they OKed it, called City, the OKed it and now they're both calling UCAS so that they can change it on their comps and it was as easy as that. Now gotta change all my student loany stuff though because I'm no longer going to be in London so get lots less money. Oh well, at least I'll be happier now.

Rick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SideKickRick)
    Cheers for the help guys, I've got it all sorted now. I'm coming to Kent! I just rang up UCAS and told them the situation, called Kent, they OKed it, called City, the OKed it and now they're both calling UCAS so that they can change it on their comps and it was as easy as that. Now gotta change all my student loany stuff though because I'm no longer going to be in London so get lots less money. Oh well, at least I'll be happier now.

Rick.
    Cool - see you there! Have you chosen your accommodation at Kent yet?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, I'm pretty sure I sent some accommodation thing off ages ago. I don't have a clue as to what I put on it. I think it was just a normal room in one of the catered halls (cos I always have breakfast, plus gives me reason to get up in the mornings). I don't think that I was able to choose which halls specifically though. To be honest im not sure.

See you then.

ReputationRep:
    you can't always do this. my friend from high school has manchester as first choice, dundee as insurance. she's now changed her mind and manchester won't release her to her insurance until results day (so she can't apply for dundee accomodation yet)

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    i'm just imagining your disapointment on results day, if Liverpool release you to John Moores, and you get the Liverpool grades...

Ouch!
    the thing is though, i dont really want to go to liverpool uni anymore! so i wouldn't really be bothered to be honest

ReputationRep:
    Question: Why didn't you check out the details with all the student union stuff before applying with firm choices etc? It would've saved you the trouble and worrying. But good luck at Kent - glad you got in!

Btw is student unions really that important? I never thought to look into that stuff but I still got time (applying for 2005 entry) I won't have much trouble with the sports stuff cus I don't care if they have it or not, or the music side - don't care with that either. Trouble is they usually have loads on sports and music and nobody has anything on art - why oh why....? *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    Irisng: I didn't check everything out properly to begin with because I had initially intended on taking a gap year because I didn't know what I wanted to do. I then decided that I wanted to do Biology with Management 1 week before the UCAS deadline so I rattled off a personal statement etc.. and applied to 4 places and got accepted by them all, but I then REALLY found what I wanted to do and that was Actuarial Science and the choice of places to go for that is very limited and I only had 2 places left on my UCAS form anyway so applied to the two best places for it and got offers for both. ABB from City and BBE from Kent (works out at the because i've got an A at AS already and I need BB and it all has to add up to a certain amount of points, so basically BBE). So i'm not in yet, just waiting for results, but im quietly confident that I'll get the grades (going on what I got at AS) so fingers crossed!
    Im not concerned about the student's union as such, but from the general idea that I get of City, it really wouldn't suit me. When I think of University, I think of it being like Kent or UEA, a nice big campus based uni, that's just how it appears to me in my head. It really is just hard for me to explain all of the things that made me change my mind but know that in the end it didn't feel right going to City. It seemed more like a Business and simply a place to learn, no student life really. Whereas Kent seems alot more relaxed where I can learn and everything, but have an awesome time aswell.

Lou p lou: That's well unlucky about your friend. Why on earth would Manchester do that cos she's clearly not going to be happy there and it will reflect badly on them aswell. That's just harsh!

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.