The Student Room Group

A-level options

I've really struggled picking my A-level options, I've changed the combination a million times before I applied for sixth form, and changed my options three times after I applied. I finally decided on maths, further maths, economics, and law but I think that further maths might be a bit too much for me, as I took further maths gcse this year and got really stressed out.
So I want to change further maths, but I'm unsure what to change it to. I was originally going to take drama but decided not to as some unis don't see it as a proper A-level. I was also going to take chemistry but changed my mind again because I didn't want to do a science subject really. I also have the option of geography, which I didn't take at gcse but I can still get into if I get at least a B in history. There's nothing that I want to do, so it's just choosing another subject. I've not decided what I would like to do in the future, recently I was thinking something in finance, although I won't be able to get into competetive courses without further maths.
Do any of you have any subject suggestions? (Please feel free to suggest subjects I haven't mentioned) thanks!
Reply 1
I would say definitely drop Law for History as many of my teachers have told students on numerous occasions that Law is a weaker A Level than History and any aspiration to study Law at University will be greatly bolstered by an A Level in History.
If you're unsure on what you want to do in the future then just pick what you enjoy, after all if you're going to enjoy it then it's more likely you're going to follow it in the future. For example someone who enjoys literature and does an A level in English for two years is probably not going to come out of college wanting to do Engineering.

Of course it could happen, I'm not denying that, but I do Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science and there is no way I'll ever want to do a English related Degree when I leave college, I imagine it's the same for most people.

If you like drama then take drama, who cares if some uni's don't see it as an A level, many uni's certainly do see it as an A level and will take people on with Drama.

Or you could just decide that you don't want to take 4 A levels on, most people settle with 3 and that suits me down to the ground. So you could take Drama and drop it next year, that way you'll have a AS in Drama as well as A Levels in Maths, Economics and Law.

It's really up to you and there is no need to worry about it, deal with the future as it comes, a quote I personally love:
'Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.'

Good luck in your A levels!

Quick Reply

Latest