The Student Room Group

What should I choose for A-Levels?

My entire life I was sure I was going to be a doctor. So, for A-Levels, I was sure I was going to choose Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. And suprisingly, I did love those subjects at GCSE, but I recently grew to love History and Psychology, so now, I am contemplating whether I should remove one and add a humanity.

Now, I LOVE Physics. I have read many books regarding quantum mechanics and Einstein’s theory of relativity. Physics is something I do not want to remove, so Physics is staying.

I am relatively good at Maths and I find it easy to grasp, so 70% Maths?

Biology, I dislike Biology a lot. The only topic in which I love Biology is Human Biology. However, I must say, I am good at Biology, but I am very disinterested in it.

I LOVE Chemistry with a passion. Definitely staying.

Now, Humanities. I grew to love psychology as my friends noticed I tend to analyse a lot of people and I could pretty much tell what they are feeling simply due to looking at them walk. I love history as in GCSEs, history was one of the main subjects I looked forward to.

So what should I choose? Should I stick with all three sciences and maths or should I switch biology to a humanity?

Scroll to see replies

Physics, Maths, *favourite out of history or psychology*
The more varied, the more opportunities you give yourself in future just in case you change your mind.
Reply 2
You're going to have to do chemistry and biology (it is not required by everyday university but if you want to be a doctor why wouldn't you want to do it?). Since you like physics, do physics. If you want to do maths, then do it but that's probably the subject that you can replace with a humanity if you want to.
Reply 3
I wouldn't pick science subjects unless you're really good at them because a lot of people in my year doing sciences have failed because they are hard subjects
Sciences are very hard at A-level (so I've heard) The biggest thing that will help you at A-level is to actually have passion for the subject. I'd advise to choose the subjects you are most interested in and passionate for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you don't enjoy biology, then I wouldn't suggest taking it for A Level - you're more likely to do well in a subject you enjoy. Physics, chemistry and maths are all strong subjects, so either history or psychology would be fine to take. History is a facilitating subject though, which would help keep your degree options varied :smile:
If you want to be a doctor, then by not picking biology you're severely limiting your options. However, it's hard enough at A level, not enjoying it will just make it even more so...
I agree, I'm not gonna question you on why you want to become a doctor if biology doesn't interest you but it does raise a few questions about how much you know about being a doctor. Wanting to do medicine from a young age is really one of the worst reasons because you haven't been exposed to what healthcare is like (sorry if im just assuming your situation). I would say get work experience or start volunteering in hospitals before saying that you want to become a doctor and find some real reasons why medicine is your passion :smile:
Original post by Moodicrus
I agree, I'm not gonna question you on why you want to become a doctor if biology doesn't interest you but it does raise a few questions about how much you know about being a doctor. Wanting to do medicine from a young age is really one of the worst reasons because you haven't been exposed to what healthcare is like (sorry if im just assuming your situation). I would say get work experience or start volunteering in hospitals before saying that you want to become a doctor and find some real reasons why medicine is your passion :smile:

I have done some work experience and I have been told many times “medicine isn’t what it seems” but saving lives is honestly one of the most beautiful things you could do, in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A-LJLB
If you want to be a doctor, then by not picking biology you're severely limiting your options. However, it's hard enough at A level, not enjoying it will just make it even more so...

I don’t find it hard at all, it’s just very tedious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Leviathan1741
If you don't enjoy biology, then I wouldn't suggest taking it for A Level - you're more likely to do well in a subject you enjoy. Physics, chemistry and maths are all strong subjects, so either history or psychology would be fine to take. History is a facilitating subject though, which would help keep your degree options varied :smile:

I will take your advice into consideration, thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by eternaforest
Sciences are very hard at A-level (so I've heard) The biggest thing that will help you at A-level is to actually have passion for the subject. I'd advise to choose the subjects you are most interested in and passionate for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I’m very passionate about Chemistry, Physics, History and Maths. Biology is easy as it is literally memorisation of facts and that is boring, in History, you can argue about sources whether they are limited or reliable, in Chemistry, you apply certain knowledge in every topic you go to, in Physics, its, ah, Physics. Physics is just so beautiful and intricate. Maths is cool, ahah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A sincere advice don't drop biology..
It will help you in medical school in topics like biochemistry ( you don't want to enter with competitive students with just basics igcse/gcse knowledge of biology ).
Also Chemistry as well is a must in my opinion..
So you can choose between physics and maths.
but honestly since you want to increase your chances, I would prefer continuing with Bio, chem, phy and maths.
good luck.

NB: I'm a medical student
Original post by dexterminate
I have done some work experience and I have been told many times “medicine isn’t what it seems” but saving lives is honestly one of the most beautiful things you could do, in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Truw but if you want to save lives you could go into so many professions e.g. nurse or fireman. I dont want to sound rude but have you done any clinical work experience because when i tried in year 11 i was always told i was too young. If you find biology boring and tedious then its not gonna get much better at uni bc your gonna have to do a lot of memorising. If your only reason is that you want to save lives then pick another profession which incorporates what you like instead of going for medicine so headstrong
I don’t find it hard at all, it’s just very tedious.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I meant A level. It's totally different to GCSE, the amount of content you need to know is huge.
(edited 7 years ago)
What I would say is.... Maths, Chemistry and Bio combo is from what I've seen the most common and beneficial for medicine. I think if I were you I would pick these 3, and choose one from your other 3 subjects.
Original post by A-LJLB
I meant A level. It's totally different to GCSE, the amount of content you need to know is huge.

I can remember stuff easily, but my problem with biology is that I only use that knowledge for that topic, when we get to the next topic, all that knowledge before was useless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moodicrus
Truw but if you want to save lives you could go into so many professions e.g. nurse or fireman. I dont want to sound rude but have you done any clinical work experience because when i tried in year 11 i was always told i was too young. If you find biology boring and tedious then its not gonna get much better at uni bc your gonna have to do a lot of memorising. If your only reason is that you want to save lives then pick another profession which incorporates what you like instead of going for medicine so headstrong

I want to do medicine. It’s just what I want to do. And my uncle is a doctor so finding clinical work experience this summer isn’t going to be difficult aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Halo9275
A sincere advice don't drop biology..
It will help you in medical school in topics like biochemistry ( you don't want to enter with competitive students with just basics igcse/gcse knowledge of biology ).
Also Chemistry as well is a must in my opinion..
So you can choose between physics and maths.
but honestly since you want to increase your chances, I would prefer continuing with Bio, chem, phy and maths.
good luck.

NB: I'm a medical student

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I want to do medicine. It’s just what I want to do. And my uncle is a doctor so finding clinical work experience this summer isn’t going to be difficult aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you've got plenty of time anyway if you change your mind. Back to the question you asked I wouldn't drop biology for A Level. You can get into medicine without it but you'd have a much tougher time, unis like Cambridge strongly recommend taking it. Also, you may find that you like A Level biology more, it does change quite a bit from GCSE and theres more human biology ( well for my spec anyway). Ultimately, aside from biology or chemsitry pick what you love. Itll make the next two years easier and it'll be a good topic of conversation in an interview if you picked humanity for example. Also some unis (e.g. UCL) do prefer you not to have a science/maths 3rd option so that might be worth considering. If you want Oxbridge though then biology chemistry maths/physics is the best combination

Quick Reply

Latest