Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me with 2biii

https://9493747455b802768f762a6eb92f...Equilibria.pdf

I don't really get the question. I tried learning some method.

Where you write out the overall equation

Which I got as like Fe2+ + 2bro3- -> Fe3+ + Br2.
    haven't bothered balancing it.
    Then I just read somewhere if you increase products E cell decreases.
    But I don't get why, idk if I am doing it right tbh.
    Le chatelier's principle causes the equilibrium to shift to the left if you add Fe3+? How come the ms to the right. I

If someone can explain it would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    To get a larger emf, you want to obtain a smaller/ more neg electrode potential for the Fe2+ reaction as that will be taken away from the more positive electrode potential.

The reaction that occurs is Fe2+ ---> Fe3+ + e
    More neg electrode potential = favouring oxidation I believe so you would need to decrease Fe3+ conc so position of eq shifts to replace it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manexopi)
    To get a larger emf, you want to obtain a smaller/ more neg electrode potential for the Fe2+ reaction as that will be taken away from the more positive electrode potential.

The reaction that occurs is Fe2+ ---> Fe3+ + e
    More neg electrode potential = favouring oxidation I believe so you would need to decrease Fe3+ conc so position of eq shifts to replace it.
    I dont get it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super199)
    I dont get it
    Okay so you know you work out emf by doing more positive E value minus the more negative one? If you want a larger emf, the number you're taking away needs to be smaller. To get a more negative/smaller electrode potential, the reaction needs to favour oxidation so you need to change the concentration of Fe3+ so that the reaction that happens is the oxidation of Fe2+ to Fe3+. In order to do that, you decrease the conc of Fe3+ so the position of equilibrium shifts to replace that lost Fe3+ meaning oxidation has occurred. I don't really know how else to explain it unfortunately.

Try thinking of it as how in the electrochemical series, the more negative electrode potentials are the strongest reducing agents i.e those that end up getting oxidised so thats what we're aiming for.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.