Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya. So to be honest I just completely rushed into the whole uni thing. I'm due to be going in September this year but I'm not sure and never was. I remember last year in year 12, I didn't go to any open days, had no idea what I wanted to do for a career, so in October, I blindly and hurriedly applied to some random unis with reasonably low entry requirements for a random course that I haven't even researched properly. A course that I find kind of tedious tbh.

Things are getting more and more serious, I procrastinated then hurriedly and at the last minute applied for student finance, and I haven't even applied for accommodation yet. It all feels so overwhelming, I KNOW I'm not at all ready.

Had no motivation either in my studies in year 13. Missed many days of school due to ''''''illness'''''. I'm not even fussed about the exams anymore, barely even revised for them when this time two years ago, in year 11, I started my revision in Easter or earlier. I guess my heart just isn't in it, which is why I struggle with motivation so much. I might not get the grades for my firm but my insurance is unconditional so I guess it's completely up to me whether I go to uni or not.

I guess deep down I kind of know I'm going to uni for the wrong reasons - the experience, the independence tempt me so much. A big change. Kind of nice. But the studies and the debt put me off. I want to be PASSIONATE about what I'm studying.

I'm starting to think that being a nursery assistant is the career for me. You don't even need a degree for that. I had work experience at one, I had so much fun and was excited for each day. This is what I want in my day-to-day life. A huge salary isn't important to me.

So now I'm considering a gap year as I'm burnt out from procrastination and crying over my studies, which I have hated so much. Do you think I'll regret this?

ReputationRep:
    Do NOT head to uni. Many people who want to go really struggle in their first year as the whole experience is pretty isolating to start with. On top of that you will not get through later years if you lack enthusiasm for your subject. I absolutely love statistics and I'm really passionate about being a statistician but I would die rather than sit through some of my modules again. All subjects have boring bits that won't interest you and it's your passion for the whole that pushes you to keep working.

Even if university is for you, living at a poorly researched university on a course you find boring will be miserable and you'll most likely rack up some debt and then drop out.

You don't have to go to university! Research your chosen career and see if there are any qualifications you do need (or would be helpful) and see about getting those. If you don't need any then head straight into work.

Everything in your post says you don't want to go to uni, so don't! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abcdefghijk123)
    Hiya. So to be honest I just completely rushed into the whole uni thing. I'm due to be going in September this year but I'm not sure and never was. I remember last year in year 12, I didn't go to any open days, had no idea what I wanted to do for a career, so in October, I blindly and hurriedly applied to some random unis with reasonably low entry requirements for a random course that I haven't even researched properly. A course that I find kind of tedious tbh.

Things are getting more and more serious, I procrastinated then hurriedly and at the last minute applied for student finance, and I haven't even applied for accommodation yet. It all feels so overwhelming, I KNOW I'm not at all ready.

Had no motivation either in my studies in year 13. Missed many days of school due to ''''''illness'''''. I'm not even fussed about the exams anymore, barely even revised for them when this time two years ago, in year 11, I started my revision in Easter or earlier. I guess my heart just isn't in it, which is why I struggle with motivation so much. I might not get the grades for my firm but my insurance is unconditional so I guess it's completely up to me whether I go to uni or not.

I guess deep down I kind of know I'm going to uni for the wrong reasons - the experience, the independence tempt me so much. A big change. Kind of nice. But the studies and the debt put me off. I want to be PASSIONATE about what I'm studying.

I'm starting to think that being a nursery assistant is the career for me. You don't even need a degree for that. I had work experience at one, I had so much fun and was excited for each day. This is what I want in my day-to-day life. A huge salary isn't important to me.

So now I'm considering a gap year as I'm burnt out from procrastination and crying over my studies, which I have hated so much. Do you think I'll regret this?
    If studying puts you off going to uni then I wouldnt take a gap year, I wouldnt go at all if I was you because thats the whole point of going to uni.

Moving out, partying, getting new hobbies, taking drugs etc can all be done without going to uni and getting into tens of thousands of pounds of debt.

Also why go to uni if you dont know what to study? thats just stupid
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Abcdefghijk123)

I'm basically reiterating what others have said; don't go to university yet if you rushed the whole process. University costs a lot of money and if you're not 100% happy with the course it's probably not worth going. It's so important to research, and if you haven't done this, problems could arise once you start.

If you had no motivation in Year 13, will you have motivation at degree level? I've definitely found the work a lot harder, and the workload more intense. And what about university exams? I know some courses are entirely coursework-based but you need to research that. If you don't work well with exams, make sure you choose a course based on that.

Also you're going to university to study and get an education. If you don't want to study, that could be problematic. Passion drives success, and if you're not passionate about the course, I think you could regret going. So a gap year is definitely a better option whilst you reconsider what you want to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkyvirus)
    Do NOT head to uni. Many people who want to go really struggle in their first year as the whole experience is pretty isolating to start with. On top of that you will not get through later years if you lack enthusiasm for your subject. I absolutely love statistics and I'm really passionate about being a statistician but I would die rather than sit through some of my modules again. All subjects have boring bits that won't interest you and it's your passion for the whole that pushes you to keep working.

Even if university is for you, living at a poorly researched university on a course you find boring will be miserable and you'll most likely rack up some debt and then drop out.

You don't have to go to university! Research your chosen career and see if there are any qualifications you do need (or would be helpful) and see about getting those. If you don't need any then head straight into work.

Everything in your post says you don't want to go to uni, so don't! Good luck!
    Thank you! I just really needed this reassurance; I don't want to end up making a big expensive mistake. I kind of just want to jump into employment now tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dougieowner)
    I'm basically reiterating what others have said; don't go to university yet if you rushed the whole process. University costs a lot of money and if you're not 100% happy with the course it's probably not worth going. It's so important to research, and if you haven't done this, problems could arise once you start.

If you had no motivation in Year 13, will you have motivation at degree level? I've definitely found the work a lot harder, and the workload more intense. And what about university exams? I know some courses are entirely coursework-based but you need to research that. If you don't work well with exams, make sure you choose a course based on that.

Also you're going to university to study and get an education. If you don't want to study, that could be problematic. Passion drives success, and if you're not passionate about the course, I think you could regret going. So a gap year is definitely a better option whilst you reconsider what you want to do
    Thanks. Yes it's true that I've had no motivation at A Level so it's unlikely I'll have it at degree level. I need to do more research into what course I would be passionate about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    If studying puts you off going to uni then I wouldnt take a gap year, I wouldnt go at all if I was you because thats the whole point of going to uni.

Moving out, partying, getting new hobbies, taking drugs etc can all be done without going to uni and getting into tens of thousands of pounds of debt.

Also why go to uni if you dont know what to study? thats just stupid
    Thanks, yeah it's true that you can gain all those things outside of uni. And it's also true that it's stupid going when I don't know what I want to do, as I'll be committing four years to this course and will inevitably realise I made a huge mistake.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.