Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

I'm wondering about applying to vacation schemes and if anyone has any experience of this.

I study at UCL and my first year law exams average was a 2:1, though my breakdown of results was

Land Law - 65
    Criminal Law - 63
    Public Law - 58
    Contract - 57

I'm surprised by Contract but not much to do about it now.

What level of firms should I be looking into with this?

ReputationRep:
    that's not bad at all and I'm sure firms will understand that UCL run a rigorous law course and so your grades will be looked at bearing that in mind. obviously it would have been better if you had no 2:2's but its not like you were very far off a 2:1 in either module and I think your decent land law grade will look good, as its a technical area of the law and this may apply especially if you are applying to a firm with a renowned real estate practice, such as Berwin Leighton Paisner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neal95)
    that's not bad at all and I'm sure firms will understand that UCL run a rigorous law course and so your grades will be looked at bearing that in mind. obviously it would have been better if you had no 2:2's but its not like you were very far off a 2:1 in either module and I think your decent land law grade will look good, as its a technical area of the law and this may apply especially if you are applying to a firm with a renowned real estate practice, such as Berwin Leighton Paisner.
    I don't think the latter part is generally correct. It'll be slightly advantageous IF s/he is looking into working in that specific area of law. If he's going for anything else, the firm is unlikely to see it as a plus, even if it's strong in that area.

Whatever you do, however, do not apply to Sherman and Sterling/Slaughter and May. Anything else will be tough (it's tough for everyone though) but you should give it your best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.