Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So the exam is tomorrow,
    I cannot find the 2015 paper anywhere, if anyone has it can you please share it with me, really want to try the paper as it was 48 for an A*

ReputationRep:
    I have the paper but have done it already, so my answers and scribbles are all over it. The six mark questions were:
    The conversion of fats and oils into biodiesel needs a catalyst. The usual catalyst is hot concentrated sodium hydroxide. Scientists are investigating a new catalyst. The new catalyst is an enzyme. Evaluate both catalysts. Suggest which would be best and why.

Ben knows that chromatography depends on the attractions between the ink, the solvent and the paper. Explain why Spot 1 and Spot 2 end up in different places. (Spot 1 was higher up the TLC plate than Spot 2).

When chemical engineers design an industrial process, they make it as sustainable as possible. To make a process more sustainable, chemical engineers use renewable feedstock and reactions with high atom economy. Explain what the terms 'renewable' and 'atom economy' mean, and how each can make a process more sustainable.

The rest of the paper asked mainly about the Haber process, bond energies, carboxylic acids, making esters and fats and oils. Relative formula mass came up briefly too. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rocco123)
    I have the paper but have done it already, so my answers and scribbles are all over it. The six mark questions were:
    The conversion of fats and oils into biodiesel needs a catalyst. The usual catalyst is hot concentrated sodium hydroxide. Scientists are investigating a new catalyst. The new catalyst is an enzyme. Evaluate both catalysts. Suggest which would be best and why.

Ben knows that chromatography depends on the attractions between the ink, the solvent and the paper. Explain why Spot 1 and Spot 2 end up in different places. (Spot 1 was higher up the TLC plate than Spot 2).

When chemical engineers design an industrial process, they make it as sustainable as possible. To make a process more sustainable, chemical engineers use renewable feedstock and reactions with high atom economy. Explain what the terms 'renewable' and 'atom economy' mean, and how each can make a process more sustainable.

The rest of the paper asked mainly about the Haber process, bond energies, carboxylic acids, making esters and fats and oils. Relative formula mass came up briefly too. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck tomorrow
    Thanks so much, no wonder the grade boundaries were so high, all my favorite/easy topics came up
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rocco123)
    (Original post by abbigm1)
    Thanks so much, no wonder the grade boundaries were so high, all my favorite/easy topics came up
    What would/did you put for that first 6 marker, and did the actual paper give more information than that, or was that it?

All I can think of to write is stuff about how the sodium hydroxide catalyst requires a high temperature and so a lot of fuel is needed to provide the energy to heat it up, making it expensive, whereas the enzyme catalyst can work at a much lower temperature and so requires less energy and fuel therefore less money, making profit margins higher from the process when the enzyme is used as a catalyst.

Would that be enough for 6 marks? What else could I write if it's not enough?

ReputationRep:
    The paper had a table with some more information, yes. You could say that enzymes can only catalyse one reaction so prevent side reactions from occurring, reducing waste and increasing atom economy. Also enzymes are fragile and need certain specific pHs and temperatures, so are not as well adapted for the industrial process. Enzymes are not yet widely used and so are expensive, more so than sodium hydroxide which is produced in bulk already.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.