The Student Room Group

How did you find the EDEXCEL C3 exam?

Scroll to see replies

Imo it was as hard at June 2015, I'm guessing the grade boundary should be similar to that.

This paper has messed my grade up. :smile:

Spoiler

Original post by edothero
I couldn't do the alpha question which was quite annoying
I also think I got the smallest value of theta wrong. People seem to be getting 81, whereas I got 63.4 lmao.

71/75

omg same
I got 63.4 too
Reply 42
Original post by alevelstresss
easy but I do further maths, i reckon a lot of people doing just single maths will have found it hard, boundary won't be higher than 65 for an A*

It was very easy compared to June 2013 and June 2015. Both of those papers were far more creatively diabolical than anything I saw today.

I mean seriously Edexcel, sin(x) = cos(90-x)? Sin^2x + 2sinxcosx + Cos^2x = (Cos + Sinx)^2? How could we possibly figure out that without being somewhat a pair of clever clogs?

June 2016 had none of that. A paper made for math warriors alike and no bull****.

I don't understand why people are complaining about the y=arcsinx graph, it's in the textbook!
dy/dx = 3e^3xcos4x - 4e^3xsin4x = 0

tan4x = 3/4

x = 1/4 * arctan(3/4)

Hope you did well! All the best.

I did this and got x = 0.1608 but on the unofficial markscheme it says x = 0.9463 or something?
So I'm confused
Original post by Hey111
It was very easy compared to June 2013 and June 2015. Both of those papers were far more creatively diabolical than anything I saw today.

I mean seriously Edexcel, sin(x) = cos(90-x)? Sin^2x + 2sinxcosx + Cos^2x = (Cos + Sinx)^2? How could we possibly figure out that without being somewhat a pair of clever clogs?

June 2016 had none of that. A paper made for math warriors alike and no bull****.

I don't understand why people are complaining about the y=arcsinx graph, it's in the textbook!

I don't think it was that easy compared to June 2015. sin(x) = cos(90-x) is quite standard (unless you were being sarcastic in which case ignore me). I didn't do 2013 so maybe that was more difficult.
Reply 45
Original post by Arthi1
I did this and got x = 0.1608 but on the unofficial markscheme it says x = 0.9463 or something?
So I'm confused

I'm not sure if there was any restrictions or a domain, I cannot remember.
Though x = 0.1609 is mathematically correct, and is a stationary point on the graph.
Reply 46
Original post by sweeneyrod
I don't think it was that easy compared to June 2015. sin(x) = cos(90-x) is quite standard (unless you were being sarcastic in which case ignore me). I didn't do 2013 so maybe that was more difficult.

This question from June 2015 is far harder than anything I saw in today's paper (In my opinion):

cos a and sin a.png
Original post by Fbiemad
People usually think the paper they did is the hardest ever.
But the truth is that the exam pressure makes a difference in how hard you think it is.
I havent done this years paper, but i doubt this would be that hard to make 2013,14,15 look "easy"...

True, but if you haven't done this year paper or have seen the paper then you can't really make any calls.

Today's C3 paper in comparison to the following papers.

Harder than last year June 15 paper. June 14 was just a regular standard paper.
I'd put this paper on a similar league to C3 June 2013 +/- 1-2 marks on grade boundaries.
I cant believe its actually possible to do 20 marks worse in the actual exam, I feel sick thinking about C4.
Reply 49
Original post by AQATrolledMe
waiting for a hitler reaction

this was a reaction for the s1 exam (if you did it)

[video="youtube;KGTJ9fwrW6w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGTJ9fwrW6w[/video]
I'm not sure if there was any restrictions or a domain, I cannot remember.
Though x = 0.1609 is mathematically correct, and is a stationary point on the graph.

yay so would I get the marks?
Reply 51
Original post by Arthi1

As mentioned, I'm not sure if there were any restrictions. If not, you probably would. If there was, -1
Reply 52
Original post by Arthi1

There were boundaries between pi/4 and pi/2 I believe (around those values) and I got 0.1609 and 0.9463 or whatever it was. But 0.1609 was out of the boundaries so wasn't an answer, so I'm afraid you won't get the accuracy mark there :frown:
Although I reckon you will have got the method marks for it, so probably only 1 mark dropped there which isn't too bad!
Reply 53
I think it was slightly harder than June 2015. For people arguing that June 15 had a very hard trig question, thats right but "simple" topics on this paper were fairly tricky in themselves (q5 was the one where you had to find out A and B using long division I think?). Additionally, this paper was significantly longer than June 2015 and had many questions where you had to write out lots of lines of working which takes more time.

I think grade boundaries will be:
100 UMS - 72
90 UMS - 65
80 UMS - 57
70 UMS - 50
60 UMS - 44

What does everyone else think?
I think i got about 64/75, any idea what ums that coud be? Is there any hope i could still get an A*?
Original post by Fbiemad
People usually think the paper they did is the hardest ever.
But the truth is that the exam pressure makes a difference in how hard you think it is.
I havent done this years paper, but i doubt this would be that hard to make 2013,14,15 look "easy"...

Same opinion
I did June 15 and it felt harder than June 2013 when I was doing it
The last question was hard or was it just me? The one about antibiotics
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
True, but if you haven't done this year paper or have seen the paper then you can't really make any calls.

Today's C3 paper in comparison to the following papers.

Harder than last year June 15 paper. June 14 was just a regular standard paper.
I'd put this paper on a similar league to C3 June 2013 +/- 1-2 marks on grade boundaries.

Good that was 64 for 100UMS (I think)
Original post by Hey111
This question from June 2015 is far harder than anything I saw in today's paper (In my opinion):

cos a and sin a.png

that's not hard :biggrin:, this one was way worse
Original post by Hey111

cos a and sin a.png

Meh, that wasn't too hard but I see your point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending