Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am wondering what the new rep system is, as I have been told it has been changed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    I am wondering what the new rep system is, as I have been told it has been changed.
    Really? I haven't noticed anything. :confused:

It seems the same to me, maybe the points are calculated differently since the method stated in the FAQ is very wrong.

ReputationRep:
    It has been propoesed recently that the whole rep system might be scrapped, however at the moment as far as I know it is still only an idea.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh but I've always wondered how it was calculated. I've gotten lots of grey gems recently, from people with a few hundred gems which is just weird!

ReputationRep:
    btw, this is just strange, but all of us except one have 3 gems each

Just an observation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    It seems the same to me, maybe the points are calculated differently since the method stated in the FAQ is very wrong.
    2776 worked out that method ages ago and it changed with the swap to vb3. No idea about another change though. Go see bono, he was pretty sure he had the new one worked out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    btw, this is just strange, but all of us except one have 3 gems each

Just an observation.
    I can change that either way if you like lol Seriously though, the amount of rep you can give/take works on the number of posts you have, the amount of rep you have and the length of time you've been on the forum. General rules were that people with grey/red gems can't give positive or negative rep due to being naughty themselves. High post counts delivered more rep, and older members could deliver a tiny bit more still.

I know many people will dislike this comment but i think rep should remain, it's only a bit of fun, and if you help people you get rewarded, and if your bored and somebody whos rep's worth a lot comes up with a rep challenge it burns some time.

I know rep whoring and 'dons' are two major disadvantages but rep whoring isn't that common except with naive newbies (i did it once or twice when i first joined but have now stopped...) and Dons can be caught and punished, so why should it be banned? I personally don't go, "Oh, this person has one gem, that can't compare to my mighty five and thereofre i'm not going to listen to them" likewise i don't idolise Blissy and Piginapoke for their amounts of rep.

(Original post by Sire)
    2776 worked out that method ages ago and it changed with the swap to vb3. No idea about another change though. Go see bono, he was pretty sure he had the new one worked out.
    Piginapoke gave a good method recently but i've forgotten it already and i can't remember where it was posted. I thought Bono was banned so he wouldn't see a PM if i sent him one, and i don't know which one is his new account. I don't mind not knowing anyway really, i have a general idea of what mines worth and don't care about anyone elses.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps just comments without gems or points would suffice? Or everyone giving the same amount of rep?

I don't really know what to think about this whole rep business, but I love the pretty comments I get from my Uni forum.

ReputationRep:
    The most annoying thing for me is the amount of times I have helped people out on this forum and have only ever had one positive rep which gave me 2 points, but someone gave me negative rep for no reason (it wasn't like I was being offensive or arrogant or even opinionated, it was a really mundane post!), which took off a whopping 8 points, meaning I now only have 4 points! So i'm in DESPERATE need of +ve rep and it's so unfair!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicman)
    The most annoying thing for me is the amount of times I have helped people out on this forum and have only ever had one positive rep which gave me 2 points, but someone gave me negative rep for no reason (it wasn't like I was being offensive or arrogant or even opinionated, it was a really mundane post!), which took off a whopping 8 points, meaning I now only have 4 points! So i'm in DESPERATE need of +ve rep and it's so unfair!!!
    Well it seems to me that most of us did not begin to recieve rep until we were established here on the forums, sorry to say but even though you have been here since december, your post count is quite low which suggests to me that you probably arent online here alot. Hence not noticed, hence not recieving any rep. Just give it time, if you become more active youll be noticed, and if you deserve rep youll get it.

As for whether rep should be scrapped or not, well I go back and forth on this, afew days ago I agreed it should go, however now that the problems have been resolved (concerning the dons), I don't see any reason why we shouldnt keep it. If the problems rise up again then I would say scrap it.

ReputationRep:
    Its just because you have a low post count, people don't like givng rep if they think you may never return or not get it till weeks later.

(Original post by Infinity)
    Well it seems to me that most of us did not begin to recieve rep until we were established here on the forums
    I'm new and have quite a lot of rep, by most peoples standards anyway. Don't know the point of saying that but nevermind.

I agree with the rest of what you said, it should stay because the problems have gone now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    Well it seems to me that most of us did not begin to recieve rep until we were established here on the forums, sorry to say but even though you have been here since december, your post count is quite low which suggests to me that you probably arent online here alot. Hence not noticed, hence not recieving any rep. Just give it time, if you become more active youll be noticed, and if you deserve rep youll get it.

As for whether rep should be scrapped or not, well I go back and forth on this, afew days ago I agreed it should go, however now that the problems have been resolved (concerning the dons), I don't see any reason why we shouldnt keep it. If the problems rise up again then I would say scrap it.
    Yeah thanx, I was just saying how people seem so quick to give negative rep for nothing and hardly anyone gives positive rep, to me anyway! I always help out other people on the boards when I can and I am on here loads!

I personally feel that rep should be kept, although there should be tougher rules enforced when the system is being abused. Also, I don't agree with the "one rep every 24 hours" rule as there can be more than one person deserving rep in a 24-hour period, and hence these people do not get rep because you cannot give it to them! What do other people think about this?

Just another question: what are dons?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thanx, I was just saying how people seem so quick to give negative rep for nothing and hardly anyone gives positive rep, to me anyway! I always help out other people on the boards when I can and I am on here loads!

I personally feel that rep should be kept, although there should be tougher rules enforced when the system is being abused. Also, I don't agree with the "one rep every 24 hours" rule as there can be more than one person deserving rep in a 24-hour period, and hence these people do not get rep because you cannot give it to them! What do other people think about this?

Just another question: what are dons?
    It was a subscriber joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Its just because you have a low post count, people don't like givng rep if they think you may never return or not get it till weeks later.
    I suppose, but surely rep should be given solely based upon the content of the person's post, regardless of how often they come on the forum? I actually come on here practically every night, and would love to receive some recognition when I answer someone's question or give them advice, even if they don't have enough points to increase my rep it's the thought that counts!

(Original post by amazingtrade)
    I've never give rep to somebody who has loads of it, i reserve it for nice new members because they deserve it just as much and appreciate it a lot more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    I'm new and have quite a lot of rep, by most peoples standards anyway. Don't know the point of saying that but nevermind.

I agree with the rest of what you said, it should stay because the problems have gone now.
    WOW you've earned LOADS of rep in such a small amount of time...congrats and all that! *very jealous*

ReputationRep:
    you know when you were talking about some +ive rep that only gave you 2 points, musicman, was that mine? if so, i don't understand why you only got 2 points for it..... :confused:

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.