Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i think i did crap in my further maths exam yesterday. I think i only got about 35/70 and was hoping for an A^. Oh well, if i can get at least 85 on the calc paper then i can get an A*.

But On my further maths exam (aqa) paper 1 yesterday, when I got to the hard questions at the end I did some of the working out for 4 or 5 questions in pencil. Will the parts in pencil still be marked even if it isn't picked up by the scanner????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guy321)
    Hi, i think i did crap in my further maths exam yesterday. I think i only got about 35/70 and was hoping for an A^. Oh well, if i can get at least 85 on the calc paper then i can get an A*.

But On my further maths exam (aqa) paper 1 yesterday, when I got to the hard questions at the end I did some of the working out for 4 or 5 questions in pencil. Will the parts in pencil still be marked even if it isn't picked up by the scanner????
    I know what you mean.
    I used pencil for some of the questions in my maths and chemistry exam because I cannot afford to put a mistake.

In my opinion, if your pencil is thick enough that the writing is not so light, then the scanner might detect it.

Otherwise, I am not sure. They might see the pencil writing and deduct your marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alisa59)
    I know what you mean.
    I used pencil for some of the questions in my maths and chemistry exam because I cannot afford to put a mistake.

In my opinion, if your pencil is thick enough that the writing is not so light, then the scanner might detect it.

Otherwise, I am not sure. They might see the pencil writing and deduct your marks.
    they might just mark it by hand instead of scanning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GabbytheGreek_48)
    they might just mark it by hand instead of scanning
    Ok, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks
    idk for sure though but like to make you lose out on those marks just because its in pencil would be unbeleivably unfair

ReputationRep:

if it is scanned then it wont show up.
    if it is hand marked then you will be alright.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arvin Bhambra)
    if it is scanned then it wont show up.
    if it is hand marked then you will be alright.
    It will most likely show up even if it's scanned. If it doesn't, then it will be marked by hand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alisa59)
    I know what you mean.

I doubt they would deduct marks for writing in pencil??? I know for the last question I wrote really lightly so I'm not sure if it will appear on the scanner

ReputationRep:
    Speak to your exams officer, they may be able to somehow ensure its scanned properly/marked by hand whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Its fine when I did my questions on my maths paper, I did some in pencil and asked the invigilator and he said its fine
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper

Part of the exams officers job is to go through papers and check that pencil has not been used. If it has been used then the exams officer should scan your paper and send it off along with the original copy and a note to the exam board. This is in case any of the pencil writing fades when the paper is transported.

Even if the exams officer hasn't done this, the paper will still be marked (by hand if the scan is not clear) and the only risk is if the pencil writing fades but this is unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt they would deduct marks for writing in pencil??? I know for the last question I wrote really lightly so I'm not sure if it will appear on the scanner
    Idk... I just said they might. I saw my paper marks and I got pretty low, so I thought they deduct marks from my pencil writing.

Oh, I made sure to use a thick HB pencil while I write since the writing is thick enough to be scanned lol

ReputationRep:
    I think you should be fine, given that it mentions using a pencil for certain questions (like diagrams) on the front of the paper anyway, they'll probably mark it by hand if there's an issue

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.