Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

iPhone says I've no storage left, but this doesn't add up!?!? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am so frustrated, I really need some help with this!

For months my iPhone has been telling me that I have no storage left. It often refuses to let me take a photo, I can't download any apps or anything. I have barely anything on my phone as it is. Here's the numbers:

My phone tells me I have used 11.3GB, with only 338 MB available (this number fluctuates a lot, it's often approached 0).

But when I look at the applications, it simply does not add up. Here's a partial list-

Photos & camera 3.3GB
    WhatsApp 231MB
    Facebook 138MB
    Podcasts 114MB.

I've calculated the total GB used from the list of photos/ applications and it's approximately 4.4GB. So where on earth is the rest?!

When trying to resolve this issue I've read online that a lot of space can be taken up by 'documents and data' or 'other' that is only shown when you connect your phone to iTunes.
    So I connect my phone, look at my summary on iTunes, and iTunes informs me that I actually have 4.30 GB free!! What?!

Can someone please help me out, I feel like I can't make the most of my phone at all at the minute, I've had to delete my music and apps just to get by :/

ReputationRep:
    Guys. When I go onto general->storage & iCloud Usage-> iCLOUD -> Manage Storage, under BACKUPS it is showing a backup of my sisters iPhone (we share iTunes accounts) which sums to 4.1GB. Just to clarify, this relates to iCLOUD and so shouldn't relate to my phones storage should it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    I am so frustrated, I really need some help with this!

For months my iPhone has been telling me that I have no storage left. It often refuses to let me take a photo, I can't download any apps or anything. I have barely anything on my phone as it is. Here's the numbers:

My phone tells me I have used 11.3GB, with only 338 MB available (this number fluctuates a lot, it's often approached 0).

But when I look at the applications, it simply does not add up. Here's a partial list-

Photos & camera 3.3GB
    WhatsApp 231MB
    Facebook 138MB
    Podcasts 114MB.

I've calculated the total GB used from the list of photos/ applications and it's approximately 4.4GB. So where on earth is the rest?!

When trying to resolve this issue I've read online that a lot of space can be taken up by 'documents and data' or 'other' that is only shown when you connect your phone to iTunes.
    So I connect my phone, look at my summary on iTunes, and iTunes informs me that I actually have 4.30 GB free!! What?!

Can someone please help me out, I feel like I can't make the most of my phone at all at the minute, I've had to delete my music and apps just to get by :/
    I'm assuming that your phone is 16gb?
    Basically usually about 3 or 4gb is used just for the system software and the apps that you cannot delete, such as calendar and notes etc.
    Memory is used to store things like text messages and emails so delete any that are unnecessary.
    Delete your internet history as this used up memory.
    Basically, you should just never get a 16gb as its never enough for anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09craige)
    I'm assuming that your phone is 16gb?
    Basically usually about 3 or 4gb is used just for the system software and the apps that you cannot delete, such as calendar and notes etc.
    Memory is used to store things like text messages and emails so delete any that are unnecessary.
    Delete your internet history as this used up memory.
    Basically, you should just never get a 16gb as its never enough for anyone.
    Yeah 16GB. I get that, so really we only have 11GB. But the point is, my phone storage only adds up to 4.5 GB, no way near 11GB.

And my iTunes is informing me that alongside documents and data and this 'other' component, I have used just above 6 GB, and have 4.3GB remaining. So that sums to around 11GB. Which would make perfect sense, however, my phone is telling me I only have 338MB left.

So even if you factor in the fact that 3/4GB is used for system software etc, and so we only really have 11GB, my storage adds up to no way near 11GB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    Yeah 16GB. I get that, so really we only have 11GB. But the point is, my phone storage only adds up to 4.5 GB, no way near 11GB.

And my iTunes is informing me that alongside documents and data and this 'other' component, I have used just above 6 GB, and have 4.3GB remaining. So that sums to around 11GB. Which would make perfect sense, however, my phone is telling me I only have 338MB left.

So even if you factor in the fact that 3/4GB is used for system software etc, and so we only really have 11GB, my storage adds up to no way near 11GB.
    Try resetting it to factory default and then syncing it back up with iTunes making sure you have the most recent iOS. I'm pretty sure there is a way to defrag iPhones, but I'm not sure how. If this is possible, this would clear up a lot of space.

ReputationRep:
    Free up some space by deleting videos ( they take up the most space)
    Then download "battery doctor (orange)"
    After that click the option to clear junk and boost memory
    It will clear all junk and empty files without harming your phone

ReputationRep:
    Having exact same issue with an ipad mini. iTunes can see the space that maths says should be there, but the device is hiding it and saying device is full. Device was fine for years, but with latest updates it's been getting worse each time. We did a factory reset, treated it as a new ipad, yet other is taking up 14.3gb of a 16gb device. This bloating is unacceptable. Updates and operating system should not fill up a device rendering it useless before you can even begin to use it. Any ideas to regain the stolen storage space?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by MerCurious)
    Having exact same issue with an ipad mini. iTunes can see the space that maths says should be there, but the device is hiding it and saying device is full. Device was fine for years, but with latest updates it's been getting worse each time. We did a factory reset, treated it as a new ipad, yet other is taking up 14.3gb of a 16gb device. This bloating is unacceptable. Updates and operating system should not fill up a device rendering it useless before you can even begin to use it. Any ideas to regain the stolen storage space?
    It can be apps getting bigger; if you have Facebook installed, try deleting it and re-install it. Also, try clearing cache on Safari.

If you've got iCloud Drive, switch it off if it's not needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    It can be apps getting bigger; if you have Facebook installed, try deleting it and re-install it. Also, try clearing cache on Safari.

If you've got iCloud Drive, switch it off if it's not needed.
    Hi, no apps installed, iCloud off. Immediately after factory reset the system is taking up nearly the whole 16 GB. This is why I'm perplexed. Any ideas appreciated.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by MerCurious)
    Hi, no apps installed, iCloud off. Immediately after factory reset the system is taking up nearly the whole 16 GB. This is why I'm perplexed. Any ideas appreciated.
    Odd. It could be a downloaded update (which is waiting to install). Check on your usage, in settings.

It could just be a lot of photos you've got on there?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 2, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.