AQA A Level Chemistry Practical - New Spec

Watch
GreatSuccess24
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've just finished Yr 12 and started Yr 13 Chem. What I am told is that we are doing a practical on measuring the rate of reaction by an initial rate method.

- decide on which method + reaction to study
- study how to analyse their data in order to determine the rate of reaction

When I went to Chemguide, it said there are 2 approaches to this experiment:

- Investigate what happens to the initial rate of the reaction as you change concentrations
- follow a particular reaction all the way through

Then I referred to the Chem handbook and found the 2 experiments

Pg 97 and 101 - http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resource...-7405-PHBK.PDF

At the moment, I have decided to write up this experiment as follows:

- Introduction
-
- Hypothesis
- Apparatus
- Risk assessment
- Method
- Results
- Conclusion
- Evaluation

Questions

1) Do you need like a background/theory to the experiment or not?

2) My teacher said I need to justify the reason why I chose to use approach 1 or approach 2 in the intro e.g in terms of how easy it is to carry it out, safety etc.
Any other points I could possibly use?
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
x
TakemetoUni
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Okay im doing a level chem paper 3 tomorrow. You jus need to know what to do and why for the practicals. Mate i dont even know them im gonna try learn them today, but make sure the rest of your chem is up to par cause paper 3 = anythinggggggggg. and 30 marks of multiple choice so basically if you get past the written questions without any troubles, which there arent much of cause of the 30 marks in MC then you should be good. Just get the mc q right too. It might help to get everything right tbh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads