Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,I have a place at King's for Philosophy.Originally I was on track to apply for engineering at Cambridge, with a longer term dream goal for working at McKinsey's. I do know that both of these are extremely difficult to achieve, even more so in conjunction.I had somewhat of a breakdown, and life got in the way in spectacular fashion, which resulted in me dropping out of the application process at school, and ending up with this place out of desperation, and taking a year out to work and travel.Long story short, things have changed massively, and I need to get that job/uni place. Emphasis on the need. Anything is game at the point. So what I'm hoping to find out are realistic options. Obviously I'll need the prerequisites for an undergrad place regardless of these circumstances, e.g Great Personal Statement, Great A-levels etc ...I currently have Chem A, Maths A*, Further Maths B, Physics AI realise that this is not Cambridge material. I can only say that I was on track for much better results until everything went to ****. So if I were to try and improve these, I know that these could be 2/3 A* and an 2A/A.So. What are my options? Do I take the place at King's and work my ass off to apply for Cambridge? As far as I understand this may screw me in terms of Student Loans if I were to get a place, and it would be far harder to mount an application. But it does give me security.Do I just not take the place in London and equally work my ass off full time to prepare for an application next year? Obviously no security in this one and the glaring elephant in the room of my having taken two years out.Or are there other options? It has been suggested to me that I set my sights lower in terms of University. This would very much be fine with me, but as far as I can tell that would severely hurt my already less that meagre chance of getting a job at McKinsey's.Disclaimer: Yes I know I'm idiot. Yes I know this is ridiculous. Yes I know I have almost no chance. Any and all advice would be appreciated except give up I'd be extremely grateful.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mckthrawy)
    Hi,I have a place at King's for Philosophy.Originally I was on track to apply for engineering at Cambridge,

I currently have Chem A, Maths A*, Further Maths B, Physics AI realise that this is not Cambridge material.
    Can you clarify your Physics grade? Is it an A.

So you have A*AAB?

And are you considering Engineering or Philosophy at Cambridge?

Cambridge doesn't mind 1 or 2 module resits but resitting more than that will make you uncompetitive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused. Why are you saying you need to apply to Cambridge if you already have a place at King's?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    I'm confused. Why are you saying you need to apply to Cambridge if you already have a place at King's?
    KCL, I imagine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.