Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have began to research Uni and whether I want to go or not. The biggest factor atm seems to be how will I pay for it? I understand the whole 9 grand course fees and stuff. Its just how can I afford accommodation??? My parents have quite good jobs so the means my maintenance loan will only be £3,821 that will only just pay for the most standard accommodation in some unis! How will I pay for food/clothes/travel and books.

ReputationRep:
    Get a job? There are also probably other loans and paths you can take for financial help, check university websites as a lot of the time they can offer bursaries or scholarships to help
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Have you spoken to your parents about whether they will help or not?

ReputationRep:
    I thought the minimum loan was ~£5000 these days?

At any rate, you do it the same way everyone else does, you get a job. I only had £3500 a year and I managed it fine. You can usually earn £1000-2000 over summer and it'll also provide you with solid work experience to put on the CV. There is of course also the option of part time work while you study.

Also if your parents earn "quite good money", which for the minimum loan I recall is over £60,000 surely they can give you a few quid?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Student bank accounts have interest free overdrafts.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.