Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

So I've been squatted in my room, doing the hobbies I enjoy (editing related)... But even after helping so many people out, I've not made a single penny, and I think now is the time I tried to make this a sort of source of income before I'm thrown into the world of adulthood... But how do I start? :000

PS: I'm very vERY BAD AT ASKING FOR MONEY BECAUSE I FEEL VERRY BAD

ReputationRep:
    So what exactly do you do hobby-wise? If you're proud of any of "your" work, make a portfolio of it and show it to recruiters
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Cool! It's great to see you'd like to take the next step. Depending on what your hobby is, you could make a portfolio/showreel and have a go at getting some freelance work or something. Let us know how you get on!

ReputationRep:
    Your hobbies include pretending to be a thomas the tank engine new moon, sharpening pencils, taking pictures, playing pacman, writing sheet music, reading books and collecting vintage film projectors?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    So what exactly do you do hobby-wise? If you're proud of any of "your" work, make a portfolio of it and show it to recruiters
    Well another thing is that since I don't qualify any of my work as being valuable, I don't see how I can get a paying audience. I've been making the things for over a year now and all of them are just up there free for people to download, and none of the people I know who have used my stuff has used it professionally, they're all hobbyists like me diwjaidwa

omg it's hard to explain but thanks anyways :D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SalazarSlytherin)
    Your hobbies include pretending to be a thomas the tank engine new moon, sharpening pencils, taking pictures, playing pacman, writing sheet music, reading books and collecting vintage film projectors?

I'm the best at it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Cool! It's great to see you'd like to take the next step. Depending on what your hobby is, you could make a portfolio/showreel and have a go at getting some freelance work or something. Let us know how you get on!
    Where would I post it? Should I be asking for much? And super duper thanks for the tips :D

ReputationRep:
    A professional Wix website just to get your skills across to anybody that comes to you for help,
    Or next time you go to help someone just before you start any negotiating just say that because you're a busy person and there are lots of people needing your abilities that you have to charge a small fee depending on how much effort it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GaryIsASloth)
    A professional Wix website just to get your skills across to anybody that comes to you for help,
    Or next time you go to help someone just before you start any negotiating just say that because you're a busy person and there are lots of people needing your abilities that you have to charge a small fee depending on how much effort it is.
    For example, I can make this website for you, with everything you need, although because it takes me some time to put them together. Would you mind just a small fee for my time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GaryIsASloth)
    For example, I can make this website for you, with everything you need, although because it takes me some time to put them together. Would you mind just a small fee for my time?
    That is a goddamn sneaky but beautiful tactic omfg :DDDD Thank youyyouyouyouou!!! :DDDDDDD

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.