Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I feel like just the mention of the word 'Oxbridge' makes me anxious. I'm going to be applying to uni for 2017 entry, and im not really considering Oxbridge, so have no idea why it makes me scared. Is it just me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelola)
    I feel like just the mention of the word 'Oxbridge' makes me anxious. I'm going to be applying to uni for 2017 entry, and im not really considering Oxbridge, so have no idea why it makes me scared. Is it just me?
    No! This happened to me too. It was very borderline as to whether I could apply, and in the end I had some dodgy marking on one of my exam papers which scuppered my chances of applying. But I used to get really nervous when I thought about it, not helped with UCAS applications being stressful anyway.

Remember that Oxbridge isn't the be-all and end-all. Apply for it if you like, but there are ton of great unis out there and you don't need to graduate from Oxbridge to come out with a well-respected degree.

ReputationRep:
    If you think getting in is hard, getting out is even more difficult. Make sure it is the right place for you. My daughter just graduated and, to put it mildly, the last 3 years pushed her to new heights and new limits. It was the right place for her, but the price was high.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Jelola)
    I've moved your post from the Cambridge forum to Oxbridge (given the thread title)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I think it's because they're so prestigious and academically rigorous that on some level, you don't feel like you're worthy of going to Oxbridge. I tend to feel the same way about such schools. It could also just be that you fear failure, and feel like if you don't try, you can't fail.

There are some places where you just look at their reputation and think that only the best of the best belong there, or people with connections. You start to feel like you, as a common, ordinary human being just don't belong in such a place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alcibiade)
    If you think getting in is hard, getting out is even more difficult. Make sure it is the right place for you. My daughter just graduated and, to put it mildly, the last 3 years pushed her to new heights and new limits. It was the right place for her, but the price was high.
    Lol I don't think you're making OP feel better.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I'm a third year at Oxford and thinking about Oxford makes me wanna pee my pants too

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.