The Student Room Group

TEPCO admits cover-up of Fukushima meltdown.

The president of Japanese energy company TEPCO has confirmed the company covered up the meltdown of the Fukushima nuclear plant. The announcement came a week after a scandalous report claimed that Japanese government and TEPCO hushed up the tragedy.

The information was revealed by Tokyo Electric Power Co. President Naomi Hirose, who released an apology. He confirmed that TEPCO ordered not to use the word “meltdown” when referring to what happened at the crippled plant.

"I would say it was a cover-up," Hirose told a news conference. "It's extremely regrettable."

Masataka Shimizu told employees not to use the word “meltdown.” The decision was allegedly made under pressure from the Japanese government.

According to the document, someone in the government headed by Prime Minister Naoto Kan of the Democratic Party of Japan wanted the tragedy hushed up.

Read More:
https://www.rt.com/news/347637-fukushima-meltdown-cover-up-tepco/
Reply 1
I did not expect anything different
I'm on the fence over this. I mean, I wouldn't say refusing to use the word "meltdown" constitutes a cover-up in and of itself - provided they've been honest about the damage with whatever terminology they use. On the other hand, they've been denying melting of the core when in fact it obviously has melted, that is a cover-up.

I can't remember off the top of my head whether any melting was mentioned, I believe the focus was primarily on the draining cooling pools and the crack in the reactor. Definitely some misleading going on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending