Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,
    i got stuck on the part 2(a)(ii) of the question in the attachment . should i use the formula for activity to calculate t? but i don't have enough information to use the formula
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    iirc the fomula sheet gives you

N=N0 e-λt (or equivalent)

which can be rearranged by dividing both sides of the equals by N0 to get

N/N0= e-λt

and then taking the natural log gets you
    ln (N) - ln (N0) = -λt

which should be useful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    iirc the fomula sheet gives you

N=N0 e-λt (or equivalent)

which can be rearranged by dividing both sides of the equals by N0 to get
    Yeah but my problem is i dont know how to find out the value of N and N0

N/N0= e-λt

and then taking the natural log gets you
    ln (N) - ln (N0) = -λt

which should be useful
    Yeah but my problem is i dont know how to find out the value of N and N0

ReputationRep:
    you don't need to give a monkeys about what the actual number of atoms is... but you ARE interested in the ratio (which is in the question)

so try
    N0 = 1
    N = 0.375

though any values where N=0.375 N0 will give the exact same answer

ReputationRep:
    you don't need to give a monkeys about what the actual number of atoms is... but you ARE interested in the ratio (which is in the question)

so try
    N0 = 1
    N = 0.375

though any values where N=0.375 N0 will give the exact same answer
    How did you realise that? The question only mentioned that the new Ca has 0.375 as many Ca-14 atoms as an equal mass of living wood? Did you get it from this part of the question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alen.m)
    How did you realise that? The question only mentioned that the new Ca has 0.375 as many Ca-14 atoms as an equal mass of living wood? Did you get it from this part of the question?
    well it's a disguised ratio - only thinly disguised, but the examiner is hoping you'll bottle it if you see something that's not exactly what you're used to.

just practice I suppose...

ReputationRep:
    well it's a disguised ratio - only thinly disguised, but the examiner is hoping you'll bottle it if you see something that's not exactly what you're used to.

just practice I suppose...
    So basically if varaible A has 0.375 as many atom as varaible B of the same mass , the atom's ratio of A over B is 1/ 0.375?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alen.m)
    So basically if varaible A has 0.375 as many atom as varaible B of the same mass , the atom's ratio of A over B is 1/ 0.375?
    other way round I think; B over A is 1/0.375 (there's more atoms in B than A)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.