The Student Room Group

Higher English Folio Essay

Hello! I have to have a first draft of a reflective essay handed to my teacher by the end of next week. It is for our Higher Folio (I am from Scotland) and it needs to be very good but we are starting to write it tomorrow and I do not know what I should write about. Can anyone suggest a good topic to write about? Thank you!
Reflective writing involves writing about an experience you have had. You should show how you felt about what happened to you both at the time and, if the experience is over, how you feel about it when you look back on it. This requires that you stand back and look at your behaviour, feelings, and reactions in certain situations you have experienced. As well as trying to give an account of the experience, there are other aspects to be considered. The reader should get a sense of the writer's personality through how they reacted to or behaved during the experience. The writing should also have a clear structure, with an opening, development of ideas and a resolution.

An example of a good Reflective Essay structure is:

P1: Introduction (Moving from ... to ... , brief feelings about the move.)

P2 : Missing friends (Friends who you will miss, worries about making new friends and socializing)

P3 : Personal feelings (Very stressful, moving in the middle of education, worrying about how it will turn out)

P4 : Family (How the move will affect the family)

P5 : Conclusion (Feeling positive about the move, Hope it goes well.)

You could also write about your experience of 5th year and discovering the intensity of higher courses, looking at universities, impressions of unis after open days, how tough the year was, how nerve-racking the exams were and that dreaded wait for the results to come through the door. always seems to go down a treat! (works best if you are in 6th year and write of 5th year experiences; but i suppose a 5th year could write about their 4th year experience)

Hope this helps and gives you a head start. :smile:

P.S - I hope a moderator can move this thread into the Scottish Qualifications forum :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you so much for the quick response! Reflecting writing is not my strong point :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending