Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I have an offer to get in 1st year in Film Practice at LSBU and another one to make a Foundation in Art&Design/Media Production at Ravensbourne. I would love to have some advice as I don't really know which one to choose... Thank you, any information welcome !
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by leeoh)
    Hi everyone, I have an offer to get in 1st year in Film Practice at LSBU and another one to make a Foundation in Art&Design/Media Production at Ravensbourne. I would love to have some advice as I don't really know which one to choose... Thank you, any information welcome !
    Hi Leeoh,

I am a student here at Ravensbourne and I am completing a degree in animation, and also attended a foundation here as well.

My advice to you is which you feel would benefit you more I came from a fine art background, so I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to move on to do, also in doing fine art I was not exposed to much tech or digital equipment. So moving onto a foundation first was my way of getting myself out there and trying something new first. If you do a foundation you still have the freedom to revert back to something else for degree, so this is a year for you to explore and get to know what you really want.

As I was unsure of myself the whole time, foundation year is a chance for me to build on skills I do need (e.g. photoshop and stuff) but never had. Also gave me some time to think it over and build on my portfolio a bit more. Jumping from traditional art to suddenly animation is a big step so foundation is my stepping stone. I do also have friends within the course who did not complete a foundation but went straight to a degree, they were very sure what they wanted and also had the fundamental digital skills already. These are my main reasons for me having done a foundation first

If you are confident and happy to proceed forward with the degree, by all means go for it But in my opinion it does not hurt to have a year to make new skills, or even build on ones you already have.

I hope this helps.
    Jay

ReputationRep:
    Hi Jay
    thank you very much for your message, it's very helpful. I will go for the foundation year as it will help me find out what I really want to study afterwards.
    Best
    Leeoh
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by leeoh)
    Hi Jay
    thank you very much for your message, it's very helpful. I will go for the foundation year as it will help me find out what I really want to study afterwards.
    Best
    Leeoh
    You're welcome and I'll pass the message to Jay

We wish you luck and we hope to see you soon!

Ahlia

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.