Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Home from uni for summer and I want to insure my car. I have done a bit of searching on the web and can only find 1-28 day policies when I need one for 3 months. The policies that i have found are also rather expensive at over £10 a day! I am 20 years old and I also own the car. If anyone has any experience that may help me resolve my issue I'll be very grateful!!

ReputationRep:
    You're probably better off looking at taking out a yearly policy and cancelling rather than a temporary policy. I was looking for cover so I could drive my mum's car for 3 weeks recently and 3 weeks worth of temporary insurance was as much as a year's policy with me as a named driver. I was getting quoted over £70 a day for temporary insurance as a 28 year old, held a licence for nearly 11 years, no claims or points...

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that's a ridiculous amount of money... If you take out a yearly policy and cancel, do you not get charged for cancelling?

ReputationRep:
    They will probably charge a cancellation fee, but they should refund the unused portion and it will probably still be cheaper than 3 months of temporary insurance. Worth checking beforehand though. My mum's car was insured with Saga and they don't refund AND charge a cancellation fee! However as there was only a month remaining on the policy it was still worthwhile to cancel and take out a new policy, £400 for the year with me as a named driver as opposed to £400 for 3 weeks temporary cover...
    Also worth ringing a broker and seeing if they can do anything.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks mate!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.