Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For work experience at a university for research in science I have been asked to wear smart casual. I am a girl and not a girly girl so I don't really like dresses. Does anyone have any advice on what I should wear that classes as smart casual.
    Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't like dresses then just go for plain trousers of neutral colour and a simple top or jeans and a formal shirt. That's the basic combination for smart casual. Wear comfortable shoes, as long as they're not really bright trainers it should be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nem11)
    For work experience at a university for research in science I have been asked to wear smart casual. I am a girl and not a girly girl so I don't really like dresses. Does anyone have any advice on what I should wear that classes as smart casual.
    Thanks in advance.
    Wear this:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devify)
    If you don't like dresses then just go for plain trousers of neutral colour and a simple top or jeans and a formal shirt. That's the basic combination for smart casual. Wear comfortable shoes, as long as they're not really bright trainers it should be fine
    I would be wary of jeans as many companies in their dress codes specifically state that jeans do not count as smart casual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boss_Rhythm)
    Wear this:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    i feel like there is a theme to these choices

ReputationRep:
    I have work experience next week too! I didn't know what to wear but I've decided to wear smart cardigans, white shirts,black trousers and black pumps. Hopefully that will be alright. All they told me was no trainers or jeans though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gimplord4000)
    i feel like there is a theme to these choices
    Yh, I call them asian clothes which are often condemned in my culture...

ReputationRep:
    Depends on where you're going with the jeans. Most people are fine if they're plain ones but the trousers are a safer choice

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.