Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

katierthompson's Summer Bucket List Watch

ReputationRep:
    My 77 days of summer
    This is an entry for the summer bucket list challenge, which can be found here. Hi! My name is Katie and I just finished my GCSE exams a week ago. Therefore I have about 11 weeks off. Which does sound incredible but also daunting as I have no idea what to to do in possibly the longest holiday I will have until I retire (unless I take a gap year or something).

Fortunately I stumbled across this competition and I've always fancied the idea of a bucket list. I think this will be a fun challenge and I can't wait to start it. Here's the key I will be using;
    • :charm: What I want to do
    • :groovy: completed
    • :juggle: currently in progress
    (ignore how wonky it looks haha)

I will also try my best to do regular summaries to capture my experience and to keep the motivation high. Feel free to ask me questions at any time.

My bucket list;
    :charm:Go to Thorpe Park with my friends

:groovy: Meet up with a close friend I haven't seen for nearly a year

:groovy: Go to a party

:groovy: Go surfing

:groovy: Go to prom

:groovy: Make a birthday present for a friend

:groovy: See the Last Shadow Puppets

:groovy: Go horse riding on a beach

:charm: Create a piece of digital art

:charm: Learn a song on the guitar

:groovy: create a short film thing (I really don't know haha)

:groovy: Walk 20,000 steps in one day

:juggle: Watch all the fast and furious films

:groovy: kinda dye my hair (highlights)

:groovy: ish- go social media free for a week

:groovy: Finish Arkham Knight

:groovy: Go penny boarding

:juggle: Read all the Harry Potter books... Yup you heard me

:groovy: Teach my dog new tricks

:juggle: Catch up with The Walking Dead (currently season 5)

:charm:Write a short story

:groovy: Finish a painting

:groovy: Aim to walk at least 6,000 steps most days

:juggle:Finish my New York Journal

:groovy: Write a short review for most books I read

ReputationRep:
    25/06/16
    Today I finished making a birthday present for a friend of mine, I filled a box with chocolate a few personal gifts and attached to the inside of the lid a collage of photos from over the years I've been friends with them. Later in the afternoon I went up to town to organise stuff for prom such as my hair appointment and buying makeup. I also taught my dog to roll over which took a while but surprisingly it was so fun.

Step count: 5071
    Bucket list count: 1

ReputationRep:
    :goodluck:

ReputationRep:
    27/06/16
    Annoyingly I didn't reach my step count again but I'm going to a sixth form taster day tomorrow so hopefully I will be a bit more active then. I started finishing my New York journal which was nice because I went to NYC in February so I've been holding it off for a while... whoops..

Step Count: 4050
    Bucket list count:1
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! Keep us posted

ReputationRep:
    30/06/16
    I REACHED 20,000 STEPS! As someone who prefers to stay in bed till 11 this is a huge accomplishment for myself, I was so proud when I smashed my daily target but when I saw 20,000 steps on my phone I was ridiculously happy. Today was also a really fun day, I went to Brighton to shop for a few bits and bobs with a friend and had a great time.

Step count: 20014
    Bucket list count: 2

ReputationRep:
    01/07/16
    I met a friend of mine who I hadn't seen in a while and had a lovely day. Although after two days of what felt like non stop walking I am extremely exhausted! It was great finally catching up on months worth of gossip and I loved seeing my friend again

Step count: 10,598
    Bucket list count: 3

ReputationRep:
    04/07/16
    I finally watched three more episodes of the walking dead and damn it's getting good! I also finished a book last night, which I coincidentally also started the same day. So I guess this will be my first book review :3

The 100 society, which captivated my mind all day long, is a book about a group of teenagers who are aiming to graffiti-tag 100 different locations, each more risky than the last. However as the story evolves the group of friends discover that someone is out to hurt them and put their dreams of becoming part of the 100 society to ashes. As the reader we follow the narrative of the protagonist, Grace, who persuaded her friends to help her join the infamous society. What I liked about this story was that it kept me guessing furiously who the antagonist was and once I found out the significance of the main plot twist I was in absolute awe. The book is so wonderfully crafted and there wasn't a moment where I wanted to put the book down.

Step count: 4111
    Bucket list count: 3

ReputationRep:
    05/07/16
    Today was very productive, I went penny boarding with a friend, as it's been ages since I've last went on my penny board (I was terrible and fell off loads!) I also got subtle highlights in my hair which I LOVE (I promise I will add a decent pic soon) I've also started a new book which I'm sure I will be writing about very soon

Step count: 9083
    Bucket list count: 5

ReputationRep:
    6000 steps a day? So far this holiday I've barely managed to reach 4000 on the days I've been at home.
    Your goals all sound awesome though. I'll definitely be following along!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ara8311a)
    6000 steps a day? So far this holiday I've barely managed to reach 4000 on the days I've been at home.
    Your goals all sound awesome though. I'll definitely be following along!
    Ah thank you! I must admit I don't reach 6,000 every day so far but it gives me something to strive for from the moment I wake up

ReputationRep:
    So everything has been a bit hectic for a while but I've taken note of what I've completed so here's four entries in one!

11/07/16
    This is a book review for Here's Looking At You by Mhari McFarlane which had me giggling from page to page. This romantic comedy follows the story of Anna Alessi in her 30s who struggles to find a decent bloke, but this doesn't bother her much as she has got her dream job and her life is going better than she expected. That is until she was forced to work with James Fraser, the man she remembers as her tormentor from her school days. Although he comes with a twist, James doesn't recognise Anna, he also comes off as a totally different and nicer person. As the story evolves Anna builds up her confidence to trust her teenage self's bully but feels like a complete fool to. McFarlane narrates the story brilliantly and in a hilarious tone that makes you wish Anna constantly lived inside your head. I adored this book so much I immediately purchased Mhari McFarlane's first novel which I don't regret at all.

Step count: 7349
    Bucket list count: 5

13/07/16
    I finally had my prom! After months of preparation, I had the most fun ever It started of with a pre-prom party at my friends house and we arrived at the prom in a white limo which was so cool! We had really posh meals and the whole venue looked incredible. After eating and the awards we got up and danced the night away! It was such a cool experience and everyone looked amazing
    Step count: 5879
    Bucket list count: 6

14/07/16
    After prom finished I went to my friend's house to a party which went on in the early morning. We played a few games such as cards against humanity which was great.
    Step count: 12,103
    Bucket list count: 7

15/07/16
    I SAW ALEX TURNER omigosh I just couldn't believe I was in the same room as him and of course I can't forget Miles Kane, they both slayed the stage and I loved every song they sang it was an incredible night and I'm so glad I got to go. Also earlier in the day I went Pokemon hunting and on a few dog walks so at the end of the day I was exhausted!

Step count: 26,990
    Bucket list count:8

ReputationRep:
    Will be updating soon

ReputationRep:
    This is a quick update as of the 3rd of August- I still can't believe I left school over three months ago, it's gone by really quickly! I've finished another Mhari McFarlane book which I throughly enjoyed and dreaded finishing because it was such a good read. I've also started Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone which is obviously already amazing so far! Also being completely obsessed with Pokémon Go right now alongside many people- I painted a mini Pikachu, I know it's not great but I had fun painting him
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 39
Size:  220.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    So another two weeks have passed and I went on holiday to Wales for 7 days.. It was so much better than I thought it would be. I had my first surfing lesson (and failed epically) I also went horseriding on the beach which was surreal, I've only been on a horse once before so trotting along the seaside was a wonderful moment.

Also being the 'book nerd' I am I read the first two Harry Potter books quite quickly, and I had forgot to pack the third one so I read the Cursed Child which was AMAZING (honestly I can't get over how brilliant the play must be and so jelly of everyone who sees it)

Another part of my bucket list I aimed to complete whilst away was to go social media free for a week... I caved in by going on Facebook three days in, however I did managed to stay away from Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest and of course TSR so I think I did alright there

Step count: pretty much 6,000 steps everyday
    Bucket list count: 14

ReputationRep:
    This will be my final update as the competition is nearly over.

Obviously I didn't get the chance to finish everything so I will summarise what I would've done if I had finished them or how close I was to finishing them. Overall I achieved 15 goals on my list which I'm quite proud of, they gave me something to work towards and I was never really left feeling bored this summer. As well as feeling productive the bucket list took my mind off the anxiety I had about results day(today lol) and it went surprisingly alright. So I guess I'm just very glad that I found this competition as I would've never created the bucket list otherwise

So without further ado here are the unfinished goals;

Go to Thorpe park with friends, I'm actually planning to go next week so I am kinda ticking it off the list just not in time!

Create a piece of digital art, this one was quite hard as I have never done anything like it so I didn't really know where to begin, however if I did I would've drawn Baymax from Big Hero 6

Learn a song on the guitar, I used to play the guitar in year 7 so it's been a while since I've picked it up and spent time trying to learn a new song, I would've learnt a Green Day song as I recently saw American Idiot and LOVED it

Watch all the fast and furious movies, I watched the first 3 and the last one however I never found the rest on DVD

Read all the Harry Potter books.... well I'm on the third one! I am enjoying them so much and will eventually read the rest!

Write a short story, I had an idea for a teenage dystopian which I was going to publish on wattpad but 'strangely' never got around to writing it...

Finish my New York journal, I have completed a few more pages however I think it might be a while until I manage to complete it

Finish watching The Walking Dead, I am literally on the last episode on season 5 and then I have season 6 left until I am all caught up, Season 5 has definitely been one of my favourites
    Another goal of mine was to walk 6,000 steps most days, in July my average daily step was 6,540 and in August its slightly lower at an average of 5,955 daily steps which for someone whose health has been utter crap all year (hospital ew) is pretty incredible

Thank you for reading my bucket list journey thing I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.