Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping that you can help me. I am planning on holding a freshers event in Sept 2016 as I want to run my own events business and so was hoping to hear your thoughts on the event below which I was thinking of holding.

This party would be held in a secret location - either the location would be released 48 hours in advance for students to make their own way or students would pay to get there – either via shuttle bus from student union or taxis (would be a reduced rate due to partnership with local taxi company). If paying the price wouldn't be excessive between £1- £2 per student.

Music

I'm thinking about having three DJ's - the budget is limited so I'm looking at the DJ's who usually do weekly acts at clubs as they are more affordable than Acts.I'm open to the type of music that the event would have as it is dependent on the demand from students.

Drinks The usual at affordable student prices.

Entertainment
    The below is the entertainment that I am looking to have.
    - Giant ball pits
    - Giant games – think jenga and connect 4
    - Other small games – to win money and prizes - specifics to be confirmed
    - Magic selfie mirror
    - Cannons – CO2
    - Cartoonist and palm reader – who does group sketches/ group readings- -
    - Hookah
    - Foot massages – ideal for when your feet are tired and you want a break from dancing

Food
    Food van outside – serving greasy food like kebabs and chips etc

Sweets bar within the secret location – think sweets like bon bons, blackbullets, magic saucers, strawberry/cola laces

Please could you answer the following questions to let me know your thoughts. Your feedback however honest is much appreciated!

1) Would you go to this event? If yes, why?

2) How much would you pay for standard entry?

3) Would you and your friends pay for a VIP ticket – which allows you to skip the queue– if so how much would you be willing to pay?

4) What music would you like to hear at the event e.g pop, house etc

5) What drinks do you normally buy when you are out and what do you usually pay? I'm trying to work out the average spend per student on a night out.

5) Would you pay for the entertainment (cartoonist, palm reader) and a quick foot massage (5-10 mins) or would you expect it to be free If you expected to pay, how much would you pay for each thing?

6) Getting to the event – what would you prefer?
    Making your own way-
    Getting a shuttle bus from your university campus
    Getting a taxi take you and your friends there –taxi fare would be reduced due to tie ups with other taxi companies

7) How do you feel about this party being in a secret location not in a club (about 5-10 minutes drive from city centre) bearing in mind that transport will be available to take you back to the city centre – either via shuttle bus or taxis

8) What other things can you suggest for this event to have to make students want to go?

9) What do you think about the event? If you saw it advertised, would you go?

Thank you all for your feedback.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not an expert. But I feel like there's way too much going on, considering:
    a) the target audience being university students, who for freshened pretty much wanna drink, dance and f**k
    b) the amount of people attending, freshers events seem to have pretty big turnouts, so giant games, and small games and foot massages and this and that seems very hectic.

The event itself sounds dope, I just feel like it could do with a theme and less things going on, because it sounds kinda chaotic. Also a different target audienc may appreciate it more.

ReputationRep:
    Hey thanks so much for your feedback, you've made some useful comments which has given me food for thought.

In terms of the things going on foot massages, games etc I was thinking that these things would set the event apart from other freshers events because students have a lot of choice when deciding where to go out. But I hear you when you say that all that stuff might be too much. Is there any of the entertainment options that I have mentioned that you think would be good to keep assuming it's just a few rather than all of them.

In terms of size ideally it would be a large event having 500 plus people there but if I'm being realistic this is unlikely to be the case for my first event so I will have to start small before holding bigger events. So the entertainment has to be cost effective.

I think your idea of a theme is a good one. I was considering this and was looking into what themes are popular with freshers. Commons that I found were ice and fire, seven sins etc. Do you know of any themes that are popular with students that I could consider?

Also think a target audience is a good idea especially since the student population is so broad. My first thought is to identify the audience by the type of music they like so I could hold events with only pop music or events with only house music. Was this what you had in mind?

Thanks again for your advice and sorry for all the questions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Winat)
    Hey thanks so much for your feedback, you've made some useful comments which has given me food for thought.

In terms of the things going on foot massages, games etc I was thinking that these things would set the event apart from other freshers events because students have a lot of choice when deciding where to go out. But I hear you when you say that all that stuff might be too much. Is there any of the entertainment options that I have mentioned that you think would be good to keep assuming it's just a few rather than all of them.

In terms of size ideally it would be a large event having 500 plus people there but if I'm being realistic this is unlikely to be the case for my first event so I will have to start small before holding bigger events. So the entertainment has to be cost effective.

I think your idea of a theme is a good one. I was considering this and was looking into what themes are popular with freshers. Commons that I found were ice and fire, seven sins etc. Do you know of any themes that are popular with students that I could consider?

Also think a target audience is a good idea especially since the student population is so broad. My first thought is to identify the audience by the type of music they like so I could hold events with only pop music or events with only house music. Was this what you had in mind?

Thanks again for your advice and sorry for all the questions!
    entertainment wise:
    I think it really depends on the venue, like I feel like you'd need it so that each thing has their own space. It'd be pretty difficult for someone to focus on "activity x" when people are moshpitting on the dance floor right next to them. I would personally, have the entertainment in a completely separate area where things can be a little more chill and social (which I think is one thing I feel like slot of people want from a club, hence the smoking area being really packed), one of the best clubs I've been to was in Southampton, where they had an outside/smoking area on the second floor. It was pretty much the size of either of the dance floors, but what was amazing was how chill and social it was while still feeling like you were in a club. So building on that and adding more things to do would definitely be a win.
    I think hookah/shisha is a really good idea, I also like the idea of smaller
    games where you can win money, I'm thinking almost like gambling. The selfie mirror is also a great idea, and hell, even the ball pit (I'm kinda picturing it like a jacuzzi). I feel like the thing that could set your event apart, would be being able to have the feel and atmosphere of a club, but also being able to capture the more social and chill side of a house party. I personally and I know a lot of other people who would love that.

Theme wise, I would go against the more extravagant themes. I feel like it alienates more people than it invites, people would just be like that's not my scene or I can't be bothered and it kinda makes the event seem like a gimmick. So stay away from fancy dress I'd say. BUT this is me personally, I hate themes. I'd rather just go wearing whatever and not have to worry about anything other than having a good night.

target audience, the best way to capture that is music, and the typical kind of people you get that enjoy that kinda music. Build it around that. You could go with one type of genre solely or kinda change throughout the night. however you wanna play it, just make sure you make it clear on what kind of music it is, because that's a big thing.

Like I said, I am no expert, I just know what I would like in an event.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much this is great stuff. The chill out area sounds like a great idea and I can see it being popular with people and I think having a separate area is a good plan. Yes I think I'm going to go with the hookah/ shisha and with regards to the ball pits the ones I was looking at will fit 7 people so if I get a few of those for people to chill in.

I did actually think about having gambling machines as well. What a coincidence. I think they would go well in the chill out area and I've not heard of any other event having them. I was thinking of renting a few machines like 2p machines, fruit machines etc so I'm going the pursue this further.

Glad to hear that idea of winning money through games appeals to you. I recently went to an event where there was this game which involved paying £2 in return for hanging from a pole so essentially you had to hold your body weight for 2 minutes and if you did you would get £20. I can see this game being popular with the guys because you can have a bunch of poles and have friends competing with each other. Another one that I was thinking of is that game where you throw coconuts at tins and if you knock a certain number off you win a prize eg a giant stuffed toy. Do you think people would be happy to pay for these games for the chance of winning money or prizes or would they expect them to be free?

I think the selfie mirror is good idea and glad to hear that you agree. I can see it being popular with the girls in particular.

Yeah I wasn't 100 per cent on whether to go for a theme or not because like you said not everyone likes them and so it might deter them from going to the event which wouldn't be good. I think identifying the target audience by music is good. I was thinking of having the one dj who can play a couple of genres of music that overlap for example rap and r&b etc. What music is popular with you and your friends when you go out?

With regards to having the social buzz of a house party and the atmosphere of a club I think this is what I want to aim for as you said. I'm not thinking of holding the event in a club because I think they would charge the earth to rent it for a night especially during freshers when they most likely want the rooms for their own events. I did think about holding the event in a warehouse but there are two issues with this. One the cost of renting it out and two I won't know until everyone has turned up so I might rent a place with a capacity for 500 people and only 300 might come and I would have lost money as I probably could have rented a cheaper place. So in light of this I was considering perhaps having the venue in an open space not exactly sure where as I'd have to see where was available but say an open grass area with some coverage in case it rains and then I can make different zones eg dance zone, chill out zone etc. It's likely to be cheaper to rent if I have to pay anything at all and if more people turn up I don't have to worry about not having enough space as I can pick a place which is quite big. The only issues with this from the top of my head is if it rains then I need coverage for everyone which needs to be close and the area needs to be in the city centre because the music will be going on till late and people in residential areas might object which leads to issues like licences etc. What do you think about this idea?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    How are you going to manage crowd control? Like for such a big (too big of an event), you need local police and authority to make sure things aren't getting out of hand or if something does happen, there are safety measure.

I'm pretty sure you need some kind of licence to do this sort of thing too. Holding a party is one thing, but holding a Fresher's event is a whole different kettle of fish!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.