Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

I'm an international student going to study International Law at Nottingham Trent University. I have always wanted to work for UN and been pretty much interested in humanitarian law.

I wanted to know how hard is it to get a job after graduating with LLB Hons International law? What are the job prospects for me?

Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    Are you EU or non-EU?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Are you EU or non-EU?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    non-EU.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know enough about the UN to comment on that specifically, but I suspect you main issue will be your right to work in the country you are looking to be based in.

If that's the UK, then it's definitely challenging. You are looking to go into an area that isn't going to be as well paid as others, but is popular, then the chances of finding an organisation willing to support a entry level role with a work permit, or even be able to apply for one on your behalf is going to be more difficult.

However your job prospects will be far more determined by how proactive you are in pursuing the careers, than the title of your degree. Network, gain work experience, build up your CV with suitable extra curricular activity and there's will all go towards your job prospects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The good news is that the main UN agencies are not based in the UK. Whilst UK careers can suffer from institutional biases, preferring Oxbridge and London, UN careers largely do not. Unfortunately, many UN internships do not come with funding. If that is something you can secure, then you should not have much of a problem finding internships and early-career opportunities.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.