Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Durham or St Andrews? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer by both Durham and St andrews. What about the reputation and future prospects in terms of employability?

Durham is a master degree in marketing while St andrews is a MsLitt in marketing. does it make any difference?
    However, st andrews offered me a scholarship.... SOoooo indecise !!!!

HELP ME ASAP.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by alex00000003)
    I got an offer by both Durham and St andrews. What about the reputation and future prospects in terms of employability?

Durham is a master degree in marketing while St andrews is a MsLitt in marketing. does it make any difference?
    However, st andrews offered me a scholarship.... SOoooo indecise !!!!

HELP ME ASAP.
    A number of questions to ask yourself:

Maybe this would be better off in a business and management uni forum :lol:

Think about the location of each uni - will it be an issue? Would you rather be in Scotland or England?

Which campus do you like the look of more?

What does the accoommodation for each uni look like? Living costs? Is one cheaper than the other? Is the scholarship substantial enough to sway you, after considering all of the other factors?

What are the differenecs in the course, and which one do you think you would enjoy studying more?

ReputationRep:
    Durham sound better to me

ReputationRep:
    St Andrews is a lovely campus but a very small town. It is ok if you like the countryside and small places, but if you want the life of a bigger university and a bigger town - choose Durham.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, having spent 2 weeks at Durham University doing Summer schools, I honestly think it's highly overrated. I stayed at Van Mildert and Grey College and they were both so dull and old-fashioned! Sure, it's expected from such an old university but it was just so dark and unwelcoming IMO. The food was nice though! I passed the Summer school but didn't even put Durham as one of my choices because it's just overrated I think. I don't see how they can justify such high requirements for courses, their labs weren't even particularly to a high standard out of all of the universities I visited.

ReputationRep:
    I was in your situation a year ago. I had offers from both st andrews and durham however they were both for physics. I dont know about your specific subjects however I would say in general st andrews and durham are of similar reputation and standard, what matters more in the long run is how well you do academically and your experiences once there.
    I would say the way to make the decision between the two would be to look at the lifestyle you would have for the next 3/4 years which could be arguably the most important of your life.
    st Andrews- is a small town which could be good in that its nice to bump into friends werever you go, absolutely everything is in walking distance and its so ridiculously pretty,or bad in that you cant avoid people, less shopping opportunities alothough edinburgh and dundee are short train or bus rides away and higher house prices (though durham is actually not that much cheaper). It also has many traditions occurring throughout the year.

Durham- slightly bigger than st andrews which means it has the shops and nightlife you'd expect but loses the intimate nature that st andrews has. Has the collegiate system which sounds really fun and an excellent experience. Also has traditions although some are college dependant.

There are many things to think about I myself ended up being swayed by beach bonfires, stunning scenery and the small town charm st andrews has to offer. I dont regret my decision one bit st andrews feels like one big family and I always have the option to apply for graduate programs at durham in the future.

ReputationRep:
    Neither programme is fantastic or viewed special by the top employers. Neither uni is considerably better than the other, either. And, none of them is so special that having gone there or earning a degree from there will shoot you to the moon. Knowing these facts, consider where you think you'll enjoy more for the whole duration of the programme. Personally, I'd go with Durham. St Andrews is nice, but I think it's isolated. There isn't much going on in that place, compared to Durham.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.