Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    "We might end up like Switzerland" .

Sounds great.

ReputationRep:
    Quite obvious why John Oliver isn't good enough for British TV. He can only dumb down his content for Americans quite clearly.

What a way to be totally ignorant and alienate nearly half of his home country. Moron.

ReputationRep:
    >watching this cuckolded moron

No thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)

Sounds great.
    I have nothing against immigration but why would you want 400,000 more EU migrants a year.

Seems a lot?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excuse Me!)
    I have nothing against immigration but why would you want 400,000 more EU migrants a year.

Seems a lot?
    Where is the 400,000 figure from ?

ReputationRep:

Sounds great.
    Paying into the budget, allowing free movement, following all EU laws and having no MEPs in the Parliament? I don't really understand what problems you think would be solved if we ended up like Switzerland...

ReputationRep:
    Where is the 400,000 figure from ?
    Sorry, sometimes I forget Brexit campaigners prefer to make there's up.

If the UK had the same net EU immigration rate as Switzerland, it would mean nearly 400,000 more EU migrants a year.

• In 2012, proportionate to their populations, Switzerland accepted four and a half times more EU migrants than the UK in gross terms.
    • In 2013, net EU immigration was just over four times higher in Switzerland than in the UK, proportionate to their populations. Net EU immigration to the UK would have been 393,503 higher if the UK had the same rate of EU net immigration as Switzerland.

In a referendum in February 2014, the Swiss voted to introduce quotas on EU migrants from 2017. Such quotas would violate the terms of Switzerland’s free movement treaty with the EU. In fact, the EU has so far refused to agree to Swiss quotas for EU migrants and has threatened to suspend other EU-Swiss bilateral agreements with the country if Switzerland unilaterally imposes quotas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Paying into the budget, allowing free movement, following all EU laws and having no MEPs in the Parliament? I don't really understand what problems you think would be solved if we ended up like Switzerland...
    Should Switzerland join the EU then ?

ReputationRep:
    JordanL_

You still haven't addressed the point I made on Swiss immigration and that we would have 400000 more EU immigrants if we were like the Swiss.

Its okay to say you have no argument.

ReputationRep:
    JordanL_

You still haven't addressed the point I made on Swiss immigration and that we would have 400000 more EU immigrants if we were like the Swiss.

Its okay to say you have no argument.
    It's irrelevant. They make their own immigration policies. We don't.
    We need low skilled and high skilled immigration if being honest.

Why don't Switzerland join if it's so great ? What do they know that we don't ?

ReputationRep:
    It's irrelevant. They make their own immigration policies. We don't.
    We need low skilled and high skilled immigration if being honest.

Why don't Switzerland join if it's so great ? What do they know that we don't ?
    If you want to look at our immigration policies we have more non EU immigrants then EU immigrants and despite promising they would, the non EU immigrant numbers have not decreased so what you makes you so sure that leaving will make a difference if the government can't reduce the numbers they can conrol.

The Switzerland point is completely relevant. It is on of the few models we can look at for countries not in the EU and it shows that countries outside the EU have even more eu immigration then we do. Norway also has more immigration then we do.

If I were Switzerland I would join. They have as many similar agreements but without having a say in any of them.

ReputationRep:
    I know ! They have even more foreigners than us !

ReputationRep:
    John Oliver is a comedian. He gets paid to make fun of anything. Its in America interest to keep Britain in the EU because we are their gateway to Europe. Its for this reason why Obama made threats to the UK because if we leave we'll be making it harder for the US to do business deals with the rest of Europe.

Things like Obama having to learn a 2nd language. Oh noes that must be really difficult for him. Poor dear!

America is rich enough to hire a few interpreters from their population. We have our own issues like not wanting to be ruled by a federal state.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    John Oliver is a comedian. He gets paid to make fun of anything. Its in America interest to keep Britain in the EU because we are their gateway to Europe. Its for this reason why Obama made threats to the UK because if we leave we'll be making it harder for the US to do business deals with the rest of Europe.

Things like Obama having to learn a 2nd language. Oh noes that must be really difficult for him. Poor dear!

America is rich enough to hire a few interpreters from their population. We have our own issues like not wanting to be ruled by a federal state.
    John Oliver is English. And if the remain arguments were as easy to make fun then he would have used them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    John Oliver is English. And if the remain arguments were as easy to make fun then he would have used them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Guess its great having a laugh over your countries national sovereignty evaporating before your very eyes. And the experts on the TV tell you its a good thing.

This is how I feel in relation to the Remain campaign

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    Guess its great having a laugh over your countries national sovereignty evaporating before your very eyes. And the experts on the TV tell you its a good thing.

This is how I feel in relation to the Remain campaign

If you could take apart any of the arguments made in the video you would but because you can't you resort to insults and changing the subject.

I have tried to be persuaded by vote leave but am yet to find a convincing argument.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to look at our immigration policies we have more non EU immigrants then EU immigrants and despite promising they would, the non EU immigrant numbers have not decreased so what you makes you so sure that leaving will make a difference if the government can't reduce the numbers they can conrol.

The Switzerland point is completely relevant. It is on of the few models we can look at for countries not in the EU and it shows that countries outside the EU have even more eu immigration then we do. Norway also has more immigration then we do.

If I were Switzerland I would join. They have as many similar agreements but without having a say in any of them.
    Your argument seems to be based on the premise that because Switzerland takes in as many or more immigrants than EU members, it might as well join. But you fail to appreciate what will happen should the nation join. Here are a few inevitable consequences of accession:

a) EU law will most likely take precedence over federal law in many cases;
    b) Switzerland is one of the only nations in Europe that runs at a surplus - membership will mean handing over autonomy of trade deals to Brussels;
    c) The nation is currently run by a direct democracy and membership of the EU would put a great deal of pressure on what aspect of policy Swiss nationals can vote on.

All in all, no, it should not join the EU. The two have very different views on how to run a state and as such will not work well together. Luckily, they withdrew their application from Brussels.

A further point: deals are not imposed on a nation; they are negotiated. The bilateral agreements with the EU (most important of which are the trade deals) were heavily negotiated by both sides. You must understand that many of them are to Switzerland's interest: free movement of labour for example has benefited many of Switzerland's industries, such as medical care where there was a serious lack of labour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Gosh, imagine being Switzerland!

Imagine being one of the richest countries in the world!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.