Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I love english literature but I hate the lessons bc my teachers take ages to do everything and teach badly. They spend to much time talking about parts that are irrelevant. I keep skiving the lessons and doing my own work and I am improving in my essays since I have been doing this but its bad for my attendance IDK what to do about it???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idontknowmedoyou)
    I love english literature but I hate the lessons bc my teachers take ages to do everything and teach badly. They spend to much time talking about parts that are irrelevant. I keep skiving the lessons and doing my own work and I am improving in my essays since I have been doing this but its bad for my attendance IDK what to do about it???
    I totally understand your dilemma. If you have a mentor or tutor in your school/college talk to them about arrangements you may be able to make, ensure that you are able to present evidence that shows your progress independently - and make sure you can make a reasoned case for skipping lessons.
    Will there be any major consequences if your attendance drops below a certain point? Another idea would be to make use of the lessons to do your own work discreetly.

ReputationRep:
    I completely understand and feel in a similar situation myself. Thankfully we have two teachers, though. If there are other classes for the same subject with different teachers try and swap notes with them from time to time - and go directly to the head of the subject for exam-based concerns.

Although, as the user above me rightly says, independent learning is a must. Use your resources because at the end of the day, you can't blame your teachers for your exam performance.

In terms of missing lessons, perhaps you could do your own work in the class (perhaps near the back) as you never know what you'll miss in the lesson.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by idontknowmedoyou)
    I understand where you're coming from. But one life advice to you is that you can't run from your problems and you must face them.

If you are unhappy with the way things are being taught then you need to make sure you tell a member of staff. I think the first thing you need to do is ask other peers whether they feel the same way. If they don't it maybe that you're just exceeding the teachers' expectations of you indvidiually and you need a tougher challenge. If this is not the case, and most of the class agree that the teaching is inadequate then the best thing you need to do is tell a member of staff that you're most comfortable with.

I would recommend talking to your tutor about this first. And maybe your tutor will either pass this on the the Head of Sixth Form/Year or onto the Head of Department for English. Or alternatively, that make take a little longer, so you go straight to the source - Head of Department for English. Explain to them either you don't feel intellectually challenged or that your class feels that they are not being taught to a higher standard what is required at A-level. Then it's up to the HoD to see what can be done and surely things will be improved.

Another option is to go to the Deputy/Assistant Headteacher that is responsible for Teaching and Learning across the whole school. This is where they will come in.

I went through a similar stage where my AS English Lang teacher was horrendous and one of the AS Lit teachers found out cause some of the Lang were *****ing about it in Lit. So the Lit teacher told the HoD and then she went to the Head of Sixth Form. A report was issued and some of my peers and myself were spoken to with the HoSF. About 4-5 weeks after, our AS English Lang teacher greatly improved and I got an A on the exam and no-one fell below a D in her section and coursework either.

I suggest you follow protocol otherwise, there will be repercussions by missing class and whatnot.

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.