Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Could someone help me decide on what type of bag to buy please?

I've been looking at bags for university because i know a regular backpack won't cut it anymore. I'm a photography student so i will have to carry my laptop to and from university, as well as my regular things, and sometimes library books too. I've seen a lot of students with small suitcase like bags, is it best to buy one of these and spare my shoulders the ache, or should i just buy a backpack with a laptop slot? Is a small suitcase necessary when i'm in class most of the day anyway?

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend something like this personally.

Spoiler:
    Show

Not this exact bag but, anything around this type is helpful because it is a bag which can fit your laptop in plus a few things on the side. =)

ReputationRep:
    tbh I would have thought a backpack would be fine as long as you can fit your laptop in... library books won't be a frequent enough issue that you can't manage, I wouldn't overthink it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CluelessAshleigh)

I've been looking at bags for university because i know a regular backpack won't cut it anymore. I'm a photography student so i will have to carry my laptop to and from university, as well as my regular things, and sometimes library books too. I've seen a lot of students with small suitcase like bags, is it best to buy one of these and spare my shoulders the ache, or should i just buy a backpack with a laptop slot? Is a small suitcase necessary when i'm in class most of the day anyway?
    about 80% of the people on my course use backpacks, they have more than enough room if you get the right one

I use a backpack with laptop slot and carry

- 1000 page textbook (2-3 times per week)
    - 15 inch laptop
    - phone and laptop charger
    - around 90 flash cards (in exam periods)
    - pencil case
    - notepad
    - 1-2 folders (a4 size)
    - and when I go to the gym, trainers, joggers, t shirt and deodorant

ReputationRep:
    I got a good backpack from rymans, good back support and lots of space to fit things in, you will be surprised that you wont need to take everything in everyday. but its good to have a decent sized backpack for when you do

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your comments, it's really helped! I think i'm going to get a backpack now

ReputationRep:
    I bought a backpack from Animal with a laptop compartment and has lasted 2 years so far. Can fit loads in it, and I find the straps are comfortable and strong enough that it hasn't broken with considerable weight in it.

ReputationRep:

I study at a very Hilly university. Basically walk up and down hills every day to get to classes. If this is your situation, make sure you get plenty shoulder and support. Many people ignore this, but it really affects your posture and ultimately your learning. Especially during exam times where you're gonna be carrying textbooks, laptops, water bottles, inter alia.

Get a comfortable pack!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Hello

I'd say you're looking for a shoulder bag/laptop back. Backpacks can still be quite useful - just looking for the right one, there are specific ones you can get - especially being a photography student that will carry your equipment but have a look on Amazon etc.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Mi-pacs!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I need help with this as well as it seems everyone has backpacks but I'm so short backpacks actually don't suit me, I usually have handbags but they were a stuggle at times during A levels

ReputationRep:
    I bought a huge backpack from Sports Direct. Cost me £20 but I can fit SO MUCH in there. It's one that you'd ideally take hiking, but I have to take dance clothes, a laptop, books, food... Etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.