The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Is Newcastle Uni considered prestigious or just average?

Hey,

I'm going to Newcastle in September, I've worked fairly hard over the last few years and got an unconditional. My family made me think I was doing the best thing in going there as it is a really good uni with good links but looking on TSR has made me think that I was stupid for turning down Kings College London as it seems to be held in higher regard.

Have I been stupid and could I get my place back?
Reply 1
Original post by JordanC55
Hey,

I'm going to Newcastle in September, I've worked fairly hard over the last few years and got an unconditional. My family made me think I was doing the best thing in going there as it is a really good uni with good links but looking on TSR has made me think that I was stupid for turning down Kings College London as it seems to be held in higher regard.

Newcastle is a very good university. You'll have a great time.

(And no, once you've rejected KCL that's it (assuming it was more than 7 days ago...). Enjoy Newcastle. It's good :smile: )

You can always do your postgrad at KCL if you are still interested in 3 years time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Good overall but lowish for Russell Group.
Reply 3
I'd say in-between. Still a good university, but definitely not the best among the Russell Groups.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey,

When did you apply to King's?
Hey,

No, you are not stupid. There is not significant difference in prestige between King's and Newcastle.
Reply 6
Original post by jneill
Newcastle is a very good university. You'll have a great time.

(And no, once you've rejected KCL that's it (assuming it was more than 7 days ago...). Enjoy Newcastle. It's good :smile: )

You can always do your postgrad at KCL if you are still interested in 3 years time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, this made me feel a lot better!
Hey,

Just enjoy your course, the nightlife and the fact that you'll be living up north. They are things you will remember for the rest of your life, not how prestigious your university is. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by JohnGreek
Decent, but not the most reputable amongst RG.

Don't worry about reputation - you've made your choice, and there will be more important things to consider once you go there next year. Student life at King's isn't ideal either.

Yeah that's one of the factors i.e living in London that put me off, I've heard it isn't best for experience

Original post by george_c00per
Just enjoy your course, the nightlife and the fact that you'll be living up north. They are things you will remember for the rest of your life, not how prestigious your university is. :smile:

Thanks that was really reassuring, I'm excited for it 😊
Reply 9
Hey,
I’m interested in what you’re up to now! Did you end up going to NCL? How was it?
I start in September!
I’m trying to decide between Newcastle & Lancaster?? Which should I choose?
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous
I’m trying to decide between Newcastle & Lancaster?? Which should I choose?

I was in your position when applying too. I was really unsure which to firm etc., I decided on Newcastle because I feel Lancaster, for my subject (geography), was better there and more ‘established’. Both universities are excellent and you should not stress too much about which to choose.
Which are you leaning towards?
Hey,

Unfortunately too many people get hung up on leagues tables, Russell Group, etc. If that does bother you then Newcastle comes out slightly higher in The Complete University Guide. There are of course all the other league tables as well and they all vary. It does of course vary depending on what the course is too...some unis are better than others for some courses. It's also about your whole uni experience of where you are living too as you'll be there for 3-4 years and you want to enjoy it.
I'm sure King's has really low student satisfaction so you've made the right choice. Newcastle is also much cheaper and a cool place. NCL like to boast about themselves on social media so they certainly think they're prestigious :tongue:
Reply 14
Original post by Dbetts1
I was in your position when applying too. I was really unsure which to firm etc., I decided on Newcastle because I feel Lancaster, for my subject (geography), was better there and more ‘established’. Both universities are excellent and you should not stress too much about which to choose.
Which are you leaning towards?

Hey are you doing BA Geography? I’m reconsidering Leeds to go Newcastle, however I’m just curious as to if the course got into clearing (I will self release) and what grades were required?

Latest

Trending

Trending