x Turn on thread page Beta

Extenuating circumstances watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ----

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nishakaur1996)
    Hi All,
    I was wondering if I could have some advice. So I did my AS the first year however because I was ill I didn't perform well in my exams and I did let the exam board now with a dr letter but I'm not sure that it changed my grades much or if it did it didn't help. So I resat my As year again and now I'm doing my A2 exams. I have applied to study Maths at King College London and Queen Mary (Firm and Insurance) and I'm doing maths further maths and history. However I have been having issues at home my dad had an ongoing court case and he was recently sentenced to prison in May and I feel stressed about it and I can't concentrate because I just feel upset and worried about him given our close relationship. I'm predicted 3As however I just can't focus when I revise and I feel this situation has impacted me. His sentencing was on the day of my two further maths exam and I was so upset I couldn't focus ajd I know that I probably got an E/U and not from a lack of revising. And I know this will now push my grades completely down. What shall I do? How do I go on about telling the exam board and university hoping they can understand my situation. I don't really want to tell my school because it's embarassing 'oh my dad is in prison' and I don't want my mum to know I told the school because I'm trying to put on a good face for her so she won't get more upset but there was a local news article on him if I had to prove it. Can I personally email the exam board or what should I do. My last exam is on the 30th June is it too late to do anything!

You can't submit claims yourself. It has to be via the school. I will summon the experts to help you:gdunne42 Compost Muttley79
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    1.Done through the school- i.e contact your exam officer about special circumstances.
    2. Theres a heading in special circumstances for Domestic Crisis. This is worth from 3-5% and will depend how serious they think it is.
    3. That means your evidence needs to be good and you can help yourself by having it ready to give to your exam officer.
    4. There are tight deadlines depending on the exam board. Check with the exam officer, but ive seen 6 July or within 7 days of the end of the series of exams for your subject.

https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...on-process.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,
    I was wondering if I could have some advice. So I did my AS the first year however because I was ill I didn't perform well in my exams and I did let the exam board now with a dr letter but I'm not sure that it changed my grades much or if it did it didn't help. So I resat my As year again and now I'm doing my A2 exams. I have applied to study Maths at King College London and Queen Mary (Firm and Insurance) and I'm doing maths further maths and history. However I have been having issues at home my dad had an ongoing court case and he was recently sentenced to prison in May and I feel stressed about it and I can't concentrate because I just feel upset and worried about him given our close relationship. I'm predicted 3As however I just can't focus when I revise and I feel this situation has impacted me. His sentencing was on the day of my two further maths exam and I was so upset I couldn't focus ajd I know that I probably got an E/U and not from a lack of revising. And I know this will now push my grades completely down. What shall I do? How do I go on about telling the exam board and university hoping they can understand my situation. I don't really want to tell my school because it's embarassing 'oh my dad is in prison' and I don't want my mum to know I told the school because I'm trying to put on a good face for her so she won't get more upset but there was a local news article on him if I had to prove it. Can I personally email the exam board or what should I do. My last exam is on the 30th June is it too late to do anything!
    You can't do it directly with the examiners. Speak to a teacher you trust at school. They will handle the situation confidentially and sensitively. They can explain the problems you are facing to chosen universities. You will at some point in time also need to talk with the exams office who can contact the examiners regarding special consideration. Unfortunatley neither route is likely to compensate from going from an A prediction to a U result and you may want to think about a gap year with some resits so you can show your true potential.

ReputationRep:
    It is not too late to apply for special consideration, however you cannot personally email the exam boards- it must go through your school/ college.

My school applied for special consideration for me because I had surgery close to the start of exams and it impacted my revision time. Some colleges ask for proof, others don't (mine didn't even ask for a doctor's letter).

Send your exam officer all the information about what's going on and how it has impacted revision periods/ exams. For a domestic crisis, you could receive 3-5% extra raw marks on your paper depending on the severity of the situation.

I'm sorry you're going through such a hard time during the exam period,

All the best

ReputationRep:
    I echo what gdunne42 says - you need to tell school.

Also get the Head of Sixth Form or equivalent to write to your firm and insurance to explain. They need the letter now not after your results so they can look at the whole picture - unis get your grades beofre you do and need the letter when they are making up their mind.

ReputationRep:
    You do need to talk to the school as they will need to submit a special consideration claim to the relevant exam boards and talk to your potential universities. Special consideration claims can only be made by the school and the universities will take it better if it comes from the school. What's happened to your father is not your fault and should not reflect on you, so don't feel bad about telling them. They may well have had to deal with similar circumstances before (I know we have at my school) - you won't have known that because they will have dealt with it compassionately and discreetly. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, as always, to the exam officer genies for their prompt and compassionate response.

ReputationRep:
    ----

ReputationRep:
    I emailed the universities myself...ask them to send you a form, or just call them up.
    Thank you all for your response. I emailed my head and told him the situation and said 'would you be able to tell the exam board and email my firm and insurance universities' he replied back saying that he will send an extenuating circumstances form but he didn't say anything about letting te universities know....will the unis know by the exam board or shall I email him back saying if he could email my universities too?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your response. I emailed my head and told him the situation and said 'would you be able to tell the exam board and email my firm and insurance universities' he replied back saying that he will send an extenuating circumstances form but he didn't say anything about letting te universities know....will the unis know by the exam board or shall I email him back saying if he could email my universities too?
    Im not sure if they let your unis know. By letting the exam board know you will get a certain % of extra marks depending on how severe the situation is which they will assess. The maximum % you will get up to is 5 which is the most severe cases just as terminal illness death etc. As for unis I think you may be able to contact them yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Talk to your head. While you can contact the universities themselves, it would be more compelling coming from the head.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    -----
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    If I call the universities do I speak to the maths admissions department or whom do I ask to speak to? And like what do I really say? Also in terms of the percentage thing is that for each exam like 2 percent for example for each exam you sat ...
    Just speak to admissions and the people who are handling yours.

Be aware the extenuating circs will already have been taken into account by the exam board.

It would be that x% per exam affected and applied for. or the equivalent of x% overall. It would have to be most severe for it to be 5%.

ReputationRep:
    If I call the universities do I speak to the maths admissions department or whom do I ask to speak to? And like what do I really say? Also in terms of the percentage thing is that for each exam like 2 percent for example for each exam you sat ...
    Examiners will add a small % to your mark. The rules on what they do a fixed for all examiners and they are limited to a maximum increase of 5% of the the available marks on affected units.

Universities reaction to your problem will vary. They may decide to lower your offer, they may decide to wait until results and decide if they will be more lenient with your grades or they they may still decide that if you don't meet the offer you don't get your place. What they do may well depend on how you explain the problem.s you have faced and how they have impacted you. I honestly think you should be working with your school on this rather than trying to do it alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ..will the unis know by the exam board?
    No.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.