The Student Room Group

C7 OCR 21st Century Science 2016 Exam 22/06/16

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Em14520
So did I !!!

There is so many different answers:biggrin:
First question about differences in processes of making fertilisers and drugs:
Fertilisers need to be made on a large scale as they are bulk and millions of tonnes of them are used
Drugs need to be very pure as they need to be safe for human consumption

There were 4 different dyes used

A locating agent is needed as some chemicals aren't visible to the naked eye and so this helps them to be seen (possibly wrong though)

I think the amount of dye C was the highest as it had the highest peak frequency and longest retention time?? I'm very unsure of this though

Alex could use the graph results and the results of known chemicals because he can cross-reference the two to find out what combination of known chemicals are in the sweet (I think)

The measurements needed are the distance between the start line and the centre of the spot, and the distance between the start line and the solvent front.

If I remember more I'll post them
Reply 22
Original post by NiamhM1801
Fertilisers need to be made on a large scale as they are bulk and millions of tonnes of them are used

A locating agent is needed as some chemicals aren't visible to the naked eye and so this helps them to be seen (possibly wrong though)

I think the amount of dye C was the highest as it had the highest peak frequency and longest retention time?? I'm very unsure of this though

Alex could use the graph results and the results of known chemicals because he can cross-reference the two to find out what combination of known chemicals are in the sweet (I think)

The measurements needed are the distance between the start line and the centre of the spot, and the distance between the start line and the solvent front.

Could you say dye c had the biggest surface area and peak?:smile:
Reply 23
Original post by babznd

It was three dyes
Reply 24

It was three dyes
Original post by Jashi1999
Nah Im sure its -547

I also got -547 even though some got -587.
Original post by BULL14
It was three dyes

I also put three dyes as three were in the three substances.
Original post by BULL14
It was three dyes

What do you mean by 'three dyes'?
Original post by Carmenh
How did everyone find that? I'm so mad at myself. I revised so hard, and I got As and A*s in the past papers, but when it got down to the actual exam, I didn't finish it! I didn't finish the last double spread page, which was 7 marks :frown: and it looks like I've made a lot of mistakes in the parts I did do. This is probably the worst exam I've done so far. It wasn't even that difficult in retrospect. Ugh...

really i found it surprisingly easily except the vertical condenser question which i eventually figured out anyway i hope the best for you

Confirmation of these answers (idk if this is needed but I'm bored and am avoiding P7 so..)

Yes, there were indeed 4 dyes -- that's also what I got.
Yeah -- a locating agent is used in order to identify spots of chemicals on a chromatogram which are otherwise not visible.
Dye C was, in fact, the most used chemical in the sweet as it had the highest peak height. Retention time is irrelevant to this question I think.
Yeah -- basically the known-substance chromatography data can be used as 'standard reference material (SRM)' in order to identify and cross-compare with the actual data the person obtained.
Yeah and the measurements required are the distance traveled by the solvent front and also the distance that the spot has traveled.
Reply 30
Original post by Username1502
Confirmation of these answers (idk if this is needed but I'm bored and am avoiding P7 so..)

Yeah -- a locating agent is used in order to identify spots of chemicals on a chromatogram which are otherwise not visible.
Dye C was, in fact, the most used chemical in the sweet as it had the highest peak height. Retention time is irrelevant to this question I think.
Yeah -- basically the known-substance chromatography data can be used as 'standard reference material (SRM)' in order to identify and cross-compare with the actual data the person obtained.
Yeah and the measurements required are the distance traveled by the solvent front and also the distance that the spot has traveled.

I am pretty sure it was 3 dyes.

What did you write for the six marker about concentration and strength of the acids?

also the last six marker?
Original post by BULL14
Shall we make a full mark scheme?

For the bonds energy for come reason I got 40kj:frown:

Yeah im trying but i forgot all the questions

and the reason why you got 40 is because on the left hand side you times everything by 2.

This was probably a misconception as there was 2 hydrogen atoms and 2 flourine atoms so you probably thought there were two H-H and two F-F bonds where in reality there was only one of each.

You would have got something like H-H = 432 so 2 x 432 = 864
then for F-F = 155 so 2 x 155 = 310

add them together 864 + 310 = 1174

this was your sum of bond energy for the reactants minus the bond energy on the other side which was 1134 leaving you with 40

Hope this helped

thanks i gave you a shoutout for this
Original post by BULL14

What did you write for the six marker about concentration and strength of the acids?

the question specified identify how many Different dyes there are there were 4 spots 2 of had the same retardation or retention factor so this only counted as 1 different dye rather than 2
Original post by babznd

possibly because dye c had the biggest peak but defo not for surface area
I am quite sure it was four dyes.
Original post by Username1502

Oh wow that's good as most of these were guesses! :colondollar:
Original post by BULL14

There were 4 rows of ink spots, so I assumed that meant 4 different dyes. Trust me there were definitely 4 rows, I counted 3 times!!
For the one about concentrations and pH, I basically just stated whether each acid was strong, medium or weak because of the pHs, and then for the concentrations, those that took a higher volume of alkali to neutralise them I said were more concentrated, and vice versa.
For the one about bonds I found that in the diatomic molecules there was a pattern between chlorine, bromine and iodine (which gets less as you go down the group) which supported Len's idea, however fluorine didn't fit as it had a lower bond energy than chlorine so this didn't support his idea. Then for the one concerning halides, I noticed there was the patten between HF, HBr and HI, which supported his idea, however HCl was the odd one out which didn't support him, as it is lower than both HF and HBr. I used the numbers from the table too.
Original post by Dr Dead Trim
thanks i gave you a shoutout for this

Ooh thanks, and no problem :smile:
Different dyes have different Rf values, so you just had to count the rows right?
Different dyes have different Rf values, so you just had to count the rows right?

fml i thought i did good now everything is falling apart.....
Reply 39
Original post by BULL14
It was three dyes

What do you mean by 3days?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending