The Student Room Group
Canterbury Cathedral
Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury
Visit website

How much emphasis is placed on religion at CCC?

Okay, weird question but I can't find any info on it.

How much emphasis is placed on religion at CCC? I'm not religious myself and would feel uncomfortable somewhere where it plays a very significant role. :erm:

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Hi, Not a weird question as CCCU was formerly an Anglican training college for CofE school teachers.

Yes, there is a chapel, in what was the centre of the uni. There are many Muslims on my course, from North Africa. I think faith is important to quite a few people at the uni, but not all. The chaplains are often seen in the cafes around the campus, but you won't have to speak to them, unless you want to.

What were you thinking of studying? It may be worth coming to Canterbury for a visit, before you make up your mind. Also - the graduation ceremonies are held in Canterbury Cathedral. You may not want that.

Hope that helps,
M.
Canterbury Cathedral
Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by mld
Hi, Not a weird question as CCCU was formerly an Anglican training college for CofE school teachers.

Yes, there is a chapel, in what was the centre of the uni. There are many Muslims on my course, from North Africa. I think faith is important to quite a few people at the uni, but not all. The chaplains are often seen in the cafes around the campus, but you won't have to speak to them, unless you want to.

What were you thinking of studying? It may be worth coming to Canterbury for a visit, before you make up your mind. Also - the graduation ceremonies are held in Canterbury Cathedral. You may not want that.

Hope that helps,
M.

Hi! :smile:

I'm 100% comfortable with other people's religions, I was just worried that I myself would have to take faith related modules, or expected to go to church or something. Graduating in the Cathedral would be perfect, it's a stunning building!

I was thinking about doing Environment, Society and Sustainability. I dropped out of my first uni (East Anglia - Environmental Sciences with a Year Abroad) due to a serious illness in the first month and I'm just looking around a little in case I'm well enough to go back. :smile:

Thanks for your help!!
Reply 3
Hi,
I do hope that you're well enough to get into another uni course.

M.
CCCU welcomes all people of all faiths and none. There are no pushy Christians. There is a chapel and there are Muslim prayer rooms but otherwise religion is discrete. Yes, you graduate in the cathedral, it occupies the orchard of St Augustine's Abbey, it has parts of the abbey in the grounds, St Martin's church is next door, they own a church (St Gregory's, used for music) and a cool Victorian graveyard. It also owns an art gallery, a 46 million quid library and a massive prison ... soon to be developed.

Putting that aside: France is 90 minutes away, the pubs are good, Canterbury is a foodie heaven, clubs are a bit so-so, there are beaches within 30 minutes in 3 directions and - if you are from the south west - we have cider. If you like James Bond then know that Ian Fleming lived down the road too, our National Express coach is the 007. Read the young Bond books? His Aunt Charmian's house is 2 miles out of town. It's a pub. I drink there. AND the real Chitty Bang Bang was built here.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
This could surprise you but there is pretty much zero emphasis. After a while you will forget that there is 'Christ Church' in the universitys name. My experience so far has been that people who are religious go to the chapel but it is not part of the teaching or anything like that. The cool part though is that the religious connection means that we get free access to the cathedral and our graduations happen there too.

Quick Reply

Latest